What else do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What else do you do?

I think we had a thread like this some years ago, and I found it very interesting to see the wide variety of other hobbies/interests that our members have and have done. So let\'s try it again.

I will lead off with mine: Besides carving, I repair and restore antique clocks, make the occasional piece of furniture, make stained glass windows and panels, make pottery, garden, read nonfiction, do crossword puzzles, and next month start an online class in creative writing. I tend to do things for awhile, put them aside, and come back around to them. With normal household chores and repairs, that is how I spend my days.

How about you?
    Arthur

Re: What else do you do?

Well Arthur, my forum handle gives a pretty good hint at what I am interested in besides carving. I\'ve got a classic car that I tinker with, love to tinker with making things out of sheet metal, I weld, I do woodworking in my little shop out back where I just finished up a cherry curio cabinet and am in the process of making a shadow box about 3 feet square to house a collection of old woodworking tools and it will hang in the shop for me to look at and appreciate how things used to be done. I love playing my electric bass and four string tenor guitars, I sang in the church choir for almost fifteen years, I love to sketch, made some decoupage windows (hot rod and custom car themed to hang in the garage, I read about ten magazine publications a month including Wood Carving Illustrated and I spent some quality time with my youngest son and grandkids a few days ago fishing for perch. Like you, I enjoy crossword puzzles and have a real soft spot in my bones for mahjong and solitaire. I\'m sure that there are a few more other things that have slipped my mind but that\'s the short story from this end. Idle time? What the heck is that???

Tinwood

Comment

When I have time I read fiction, usually a Lee Child, John Connolly etc, I like some good music such as Joe Bonamassa and I\'m a film buff. I used to lift very heavy weights and compete in hand strength competitions but my old body (I\'m 51!) just doesn\'t like me doing that any more seeing as I\'ve wrecked both shoulders and elbows! I also used to do a lot of street photography, I used to run a small one man ministry spreading the word but got tired of being ignored and laughed at so now I save my energies for those that want them. Oh, and I\'m supposed to be training as a visitor for the chaplaincy service at the local hospital when they get around to it!

Comment

Since be forced into retirement, I have just kept myself busy carving. I was a Sr. Designer/CAd doing land development/road design, so I guess I like the hobby of carving. I would not say that I am talented person, therefore i am a slow carver, which is OK . I\'m busy and happy, not bad huh?
        . . . JoeB
        . . .JoeB

Comment

I do a little woodworking (furniture type stuff, or whatever my wife would like). I enjoy reading, crossword puzzles, sudoku, and lateral thinking type things. Paying rent to the bank so I can have something to call mine, so there are many projects that go along with that. Used to play card games like cribbage, but haven\'t done that in years. Enjoy listening to music (many styles from classical to heavy metal). I\'m sure there\'s more, I just can\'t come up with it. Too many things to do!!!
          --Rule #2: Always wear gloves at a crime scene

Comment

I\'m a retired mechanical engineer with some training as a machinist. I\'ve used everything from triangles & T-squares to 3d cad. Mostly 1st generation special automated assembly machines. I like fishing & hunting. I tie my own flies & have built several fly rods. Carving is to get me thru the extreme weather of winter & summer. I\'m quite enjoying it all.

Comment

I have a good woodworking shop in the garage along with some metalworking tools and the basics of a forge. I will get back to all that as soon as I finish the 8-years-so-far complete remodel on my house and get the 2,000 square foot of flooring stored in there installed. I love to garden, veggies and flowers. Like to cook too, inside and out. Might have been a professional cook had life taken a different turn. I was a pro cabinetmaker for a couple decades, would like to build custom home bars (thats right for drinking!) out of my shop. And I like to drink beer, its a wonderful craft beer world these days.

Theres more,used to have a quote at the bottom: What one man can do another can do- something comes into my head, I go find out how to do it. World peace still eludes me tho....
              Last edited by Buffalo Bif; 07-20-2016, 03:52 PM.
              Buffalo Bif
              www.bflobif.com

Comment

I enjoy most any type of woodworking and have a pretty good assortment of tools and a nice shop ( both woodworking and mechanical) . Enjoy attending blackpowder rendezvous and making the gear that goes along with reenacting. Camping and travelling have played a big part of my life especially since I have retired, but I guess my all time favorite has been carving.
                Wayne

Hey; I just noticed that my post doesn t have all those ///////// marks that used to show up in every post............yeeeee haaaa!
                Last edited by Soggy; 07-20-2016, 06:24 PM.
                If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Thanks, Arthur C for starting this discussion. Like the others, I have many interests in addition to carving. Currently I am singing with two men's choruses (barbershop harmony). One is for fun, and the other is serious - in competition. While pursuing the woodcarving hobby I have climbed mountains (110 > 10k elev), kayaked 3000 miles, bicycled a lot, traveled extensively, restored Model A Fords, served as editor of a national hobby magazine, Scoutmaster, loving husband. My profession was an aerospace administrator for 40 years.

Comment

I make game calls, specialize in predator calls but every so often make a duck or turkey call. They are the reason I am on this forum, decided I wanted to carve a little on the calls. Step them up a notch. I have been making calls since 1964, tried every wood I could find, used plastics, even made all metal calls. Then the new "kids" on the block of callmaking stepped up the "fancy" stuff to a new level. I knew it was time for me to also step up and make fancier calls.

This is the competition I am against. http://www.ccaacalls.org/auction_2016.php

Comment

I go through hobbies like crazy...or rather, I keep trying new ones like crazy. I've been a birder for many years, but don't get out as much as I would like. I piddle with the guitar now and then - never really improving. I just got a trike (bicycle) but it's been way too hot to ride much (c'mon fall). I like to color, play board games, and read. I recently picked up model railroading, but may not continue with it due mostly to space constraints (we'll see how the fall/winter go). I've also been in to uncluttering years of STUFF and finding places for all the remaining STUFF to live.

Comment

Being a beginner carver I am also learning pyrography, enjoying them both. Love pestering my hubby, showing my dogs - have 3 Borzoi 2 are champions and the youngest is in training for obedience/rally. I have a horse that I don't get to ride as often as I should. Being a handicapped equestrian, I am getting back in to showing her in dressage - against able-bodied riders. Intro.

Comment

Wow it iso nice to have the forum back up and running, all I have to do figure out where everything goes in the post
                          Bruce

Comment

I forgot to say what else I do earlier today, so here goes, I play some golf from the seniors tees, travel some, been known to have a couple shots of Crown Royal Black on the rocks on occasions, like Monday to Sunday LOL, but still love to carve the most
                            Bruce

Comment

I just carve, is there something else?
                              Herb

Comment

Working...
                              X