I have a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a question

There is something about this board I just can't figure out.
    Why does nearly everyone except a few use those odd monickers instead of their real name?
    Maybe it's just because I'm in the snapdragon phase of my life.
    Doug

Re: I have a question

I did it without thinking and now I regret it. I actually was thinking of contacting Bob and getting my name changed but keep my profile.... Just my two cents.

Comment

Well Doug ,
      Lets see if this makes a bit of sense. Since I am not a professional carver having my real name on a world wide fourm is not something I was willing to consider in a time where electronics can do everything from empting bank accounts to purchasing goods without proof of the real person.
      Internet scams are very real and very active , your computer can be scanned in a mater of seconds, and often many people when using their real names in open fourms are traced and even stalked by predators. As an artist that looking to find additional outlets for your goods using your real name can be necessary , but for many a simple aka allows more freedom.
      And many artist passed and present use names other than their own, and become very well know by those other names .

Ash

Comment

ASh said it best.
        But then, My moniker is my first name and the first inital of my last name. So, I guess my point in not wanting everyone to know my name is moot, eh?

Comment

Maybe it's a throwback to the old CB Radio days when everyone had a "handle"!

Al

Comment

Ash covered a very good point and that was the reason at first but now it's mostly habit.

The name Phaeton or Phaethon is from Greek mythology and dates back over 2000 years to Ovid's Metamorphoses; Phaeton was the mortal son of the Greek Sun God.

My hobby was (and still is) Aurora Photography so I started using the name Phaeton about 7 years ago as we were approaching solar maximum of Solar Cycle 23, I was spending a lot of time in solar forums and tracking real time satellite data but the Sun is quiet now and my Aurora camera is taking a break until the next solar maximum in 2011. http://www.spaceweather.com/

Bill

Comment

Doug,
              Ash makes some good points; but there could be other reasons.

Let's say the Mexican authorities were still looking for you even though the incident happened twenty years ago.

Or perhaps a guy named Bruno from Las Vegas would like his boss's money back.

Finally, there is the possibility that a certain father from South Carolina wants to make me his son-in-law.

I suppose identity theft should also be a concern.

Comment

i agree with ash thats why i did it never no who else is on here and what there doing just takes one bad apple
                ron

Comment

What makes you think that Capt. Bandaid is not my real name? Bouncing S

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Ridley
                    There is something about this board I just can't figure out.
                    Why does nearly everyone except a few use those odd monickers instead of their real name?
                    Maybe it's just because I'm in the snapdragon phase of my life.
                    Doug

hummmmm ok get bob to change yourname to "snapdragon"! LOLMotorcycle
                    "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Matrix OMG! YOUR THAT RICK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAD!!!!!!

Comment

Bob, can you change my name?

Maybe "Bill-in-Topeka"?

Comment

My grandson found you and now I have too. I have a shotgun for each hand now, "RICK from where ever you are hiding". You stay right where you are. We are headed your way in the mule cart as you read this.

Comment

With a given name of thomas called tom - tommy all my life and the h is silent i just cut off the as on thomas, then all the thompsons wanted to use that as a user name so i added the first letter of my last name,

thomp....
                            simple easier for me to remember and i dont have to have my service uniform on to remember my name now.

Comment

Aw c'mon...It's JUST to be different in the CARVING world!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X