How to start a carving club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to start a carving club

today i took my wife to the doc for a check up on a foot ankle turnover incident she had at work. hobbled her for a week, thought i was going to have to take her out back and shoot her.. she gets bossy when hurt

while waiting in the truck in the far end of the hospital parking lot. for my wife,
    i was a 1/4 mile out of traffic flow i was working on a Marv Kaisersatt blank of the mechanic, with all the roughing done i had started detailing the face and gear, working all alone no distractions THINKING...i should get the detailing done today..
    and here popped up an old 70 year old man wondering what i was doing, i showed him and we conversed till he had almost missed his appointment, with in 10 minuets another young 31'ish feller and his 'daughter 3 or so' drove up and the feller said i told my daughter you was carving a man out of wood and she had to see, i handed her my carving she marveled at it , but it was the father that was most interested.
    . he asked the normal questions and drove off to retrieve his wife,

but only to return with his wife to say my daughter told her mother what you was doing and she had to see...
    the carving was passed around in the truck to a point i was beginning to worry if i would get it back. but the guys wife and son inspected the carving then she said your good at that, and handed it back to the husband who rolled it over and over inspecting it,
    I said if i could talk to your husband for 45 minuets ill bet he would start carving as well.. he stuttered a reply of " i wouldn't know where i would find the time or how to start" the kids and wife were ready to get a burger so i gave him the forms name and web address as well as mine.. they left

A off duty fireman came by after that and a young black male youth all wanting to know what i was carving.

now i was in the lowest traffic area in the lot,
    i didn't go inside because i wanted to carve not talk...

it amazes me that with all the interest here that there isn't a carving club, if i knew how i would start one just for the fellowship.
    but you got to have a resident expert and a place to meet... i don't...

My question is how would you get the word out and how would you start a carving club...

Re: How to start a carving club

Thomp,
    What's the problem with you being the resident expert. I'm sure you know more about carving than any of the rest of the people that might be interested. As far as a place to meet........check with senior centers and churches, VFW halls, or any other civic organization that has their own building they might let you use for free or a small rental fee. To get the word out, see if your local paper would run a small item in the paper as a public service. Contact churches, civic organizations and clubs, and possibly local radio or TV stations, as they are required to broadcast a certain amount of public service annoucements. Plus tell everyone you know. You might get FAMOUS!!!!!Talking Let us know how it works out if you decide to try.
    Garon

Comment

Thought about the same thing here in little ol mt. vernon ohio, but the same thing keeps me stopped too, time.
      Working second shift keeps me carving but lacking social life, thought about a club or group here on one of my days off.
      Tom H has offered me the chance to come to his group and learn in Delaware and i think i'm going.
      If anyone knows of any clubs and or groups in or around the Mt. Vernon area, let me know.

Oh yea, i'm 50 miles north of Columbus and 35 miles south of Mansfield.

Thomp, if you have luck with yours let us know how you did.

Michael Gray

Comment

Thomp.....it is funny you should bring up this subject! I've been going through the same thought process. I have met a gentleman who wants to learn and has poised the same question, why don't you start a carving club, and I am seriously considering it.

Finding folks interested isn't a problem, I know many who have expressed interest, through the display last summer and the one before. As I write a column for the local newspaper, getting a notice in to advertize the idea wouldn't be difficult. Finding a location is the problem that has me vexed!

I have considered a number of venues, but still haven't settled on one yet. Any suggestions on what I should consider and what we might need to begin?

I am going to order one of Rick's kits to have on hand so folks can place orders, any suggestions as to what else I might have available? I have plenty of wood carving books and back issues of WCI available, left over from the display, should I have a few blanks on hand for those interested in those? If so, what blanks might be best?

Good thread Thomp! Let's see what we can get going in our areas! With members of so many clubs on the board here, I'm sure we'll get some great suggestions, more like Gargons.

Bob
        Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

I live and work 20 minutes (14 to 16 miles) from the nearest town, and I also wanted to start a carving club.
          I put it in the local paper, and on my web site for the 3rd Saturday of each month, from noon until 3:00, back in February of this year. Last month, we had 12 carvers show up. Not every month gets that kind of group, but each month is different, and we always share ideas and have a good time.
          My announcement in the paper stresses that there is no agenda, and no fees, just fun, and encourages folks to come if they have never carved, or to bring along projects they are working on and ones they are proud to show us.

Carvers are universally nice folks, and some of the other carvers have brought along blanks to share to the newbies. I have been gifted a wonderfully handmade knife, and two blanks for being the host.

Finding a place to meet can be a church meeting room, a local art council building, a senior center, or even a bank meeting room. Most of those venues would be free, and just require scheduling ahead.

Otherwise, someone may just want to use their own studio or garage.

Go for it. I know you would enjoy the results.
          Thor
          Steve

Comment

Thomp, I grew up in Pineville and graduated from Louisiana College. They had an active arts department and of course lots of potential for meeting rooms. There are usually a variety of clubs at Colleges. I am sure that a carving session or two on the veranda of the student center would create plenty of interest. It might be a good way of jump-starting a club. Then you could keep up the advertisement through the newspaper and other media.

The folks at Olla, that sell the cypress knees, might know of carvers in the CENLA area that could be contacted directly. That would not be too far to drive once a month.

It could be a good mix of college students and the local community. Kind of an outreach program.

Comment

Most libraries have an area where you can sit down and read. Take a wood carving book with you, and sit down and read for a few minutes. Then take out whatever you're carving, and begin to carve. Bet you'll be invited by the librarian to display your carvings, give a talk, maybe even teach a class or, "OHMIGOSH--start a club!?!?"

Worst case scenarios--you'll get yelled at for making too much noise, leaving chips on the floor, or "WHADDYA CRAZY!!! You can't bring a knife in here!!!"Baby

People are innately curious--and dare I say, NOSY! But it's a good feeling when someone likes what you're doing, and even more tremendous, when they want someone else to see your talent! Great story Thomp!

Comment

WARNING' Long post folks,
                (and probably spelled bad English and grammar.. lots to cover.)
                spell check provided by Google toolbar

See here what i mean, i made one post yesterday and i got 5 or 6 ready to join a club..
                its too bad that Internet clubs are as hard as they are to manage.. and "hands on" help is impossible unless the meetings would be video messaging..

i think more, that club meetings would be mostly fellowship where you could relax and discuss.. daily deeds and such while you spit and whittle.

Garon the only thing with me being the resident expert or sage of a carving club is the beginners within a year will know it all then be ready to leave.... HA!

michel I don't think ill have much luck I don't drive due to diabetic nerve problems in my feet.. but if something comes up ill let you know how it happened..
                i was thinking of the fire department 2 blocks away. i could easily walk that far and them boys are bored & captive less there's a bad wreck or fire..

BOB, Shame on you, if you got folks wanting to learn... get em busy.. I found buying 2x8x12" basswood, makes a good choice for all around size. you can make a horse or 4 figures out of the same piece of wood.
                it fits my needs (my scrollsaw throught is only 2 1/2") to cut blanks from heineck wood.. 4 pieces and shipping runs about $30.00 but i bet there's a break point where shipping would be free at least.
                bad parts the rules minuets and incorporations for tax free status. but if its a free club you might get away without all that.. we might get with a club to see the legality..

get with heinecke wood and rick ill bet they could do you right on them beginner kits if you ordered a dozen.. cuz it sounds like you got a club on your hands.. and most will need gloves...

if you use your own books - patterns or specifically buy some books with patterns in them, you should have permission for 10 rough outs in most cases., you make the rough outs for the projects and you'll have some way of sustaining your club members with projects, i draw some, and i think i could come up with some original patterns myself of the humorous lives these cajon's lead from the jokes told about them. ,,
                as for a place, your own garage would do to start. clubs seam to be small beginning. others have offered several suggestions of community halls there's got to be some place free so it wouldn't be a rent strain..

some malls allow meetings in the food courts, i was thinking the farmers market would be a good place till cold weather set in.

if i had a garage i would start one here, just wouldn't want everybody to access to my power tools. not insured for that.

but only 3 people have paid any deep concern, and they cant get off at the same time, but they still come by and we spit and whittle on the front porch..
                so i guess i got one started in a sense, but its certainly got nowhere to grow to.. especially when we get them 15 minuets of winter here.

i don't know if dues would be necessary, unless your providing a special rented building then electricity & heat is a concern or other services or libraries to the folks. food and drink presently a problem one extra meal every other week ain't a strain, but to feed 50 would be,.

I think the Santa blanks and ornaments would be a great thing to start out folks on, I been buying 1/2 and 3/8 popular from Lowe's for ornaments, it works fine its little harder to carve. but beginners need to learn how to sharpen..
                I also have used sweet gum, just cut out a picture with one plane of depth in a 1x8 plank then carve the details into it. I got a lot of monkeys and such done like that in 3/4 round i wanted to start a faces of the world collection of carvings like that. rough outs that way. shouldn't be hard to stack cut on a bandsaw..

most of the 3 boys i got here are doing relief carving one is doing a cowboy.. but i think blanks would be least of the problems.

If you get to walmarts in the sewing center you can buy thumb guards for buck fifty or so, don't know about gloves. but you ought to have some on hand for folks. "veltrap" that they put on you when they draw blood, it only sticks to its self walmart sells it as sports wrap stuff,. makes fine thumb guards or glove patches., Pete leclair uses many coats of masking tape.

some drinks-coffee and a restroom for creature comfort chairs and tables . plywood and sawhorses would do in a pinch. maybe snacks?? don't know how far you would want to take it,,,
                and of course your ship side views in 3/4 round done on a plaque would do fine as a project..

I'm jumping between 2 windows here answering this if it gets disorganized that's why

Thor
                Great reply it gives encouragement....

im done.. hope the next aint as wordy

Comment

Thomp, If you find yourself in the same situation, where people come up, Hand them a blank, a knife and have them start carving. Give them your name and address and tell them to come by to sit and carve, and of course spin tells..

Comment

yep i got to get more cards done today.. thanks for reminding me

Comment

great book on starting a carving club; The beginners book of wood carving by Beiderman and Thompson. Big Al

Comment

Originally posted by Just Carving
                        Most libraries have an area where you can sit down and read. Take a wood carving book with you, and sit down and read for a few minutes. Then take out whatever you're carving, and begin to carve. Bet you'll be invited by the librarian to display your carvings, give a talk, maybe even teach a class or, "OHMIGOSH--start a club!?!?"

Worst case scenarios--you'll get yelled at for making too much noise, leaving chips on the floor, or "WHADDYA CRAZY!!! You can't bring a knife in here!!!"Baby

People are innately curious--and dare I say, NOSY! But it's a good feeling when someone likes what you're doing, and even more tremendous, when they want someone else to see your talent! Great story Thomp!

ha ha or asked to clean up your mess and leave! lol
                        "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Great information folks, thanks. Been asking around, talking to a few carvers/woodworkers I know in the community here where I live, and trying to stir up some enthisusm. Getting some ideas down on paper and figuring out some possible locations, etc. I think it will work, but we'll just have to get things moving.

Bob
                          Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

i just invited the boys over to the house Friday night for potluck, not all have responded yet. one is offshore working a boat this month.
                            but the wives love to fatten us up, and while were all content eating desert they start with the honey do lists.. and the things they seen for us to make...

kind of spider and fly thing going on there,
                            but us boys all get to the porch afterwords and get to carve and trade ideas,
                            guess it will be word of mouth, till we can get a place where we can depend on to meet,

heck i been needing a party gazebo, maybe we can have a raising.

good luck bob

Comment

Central Ohio has a bunch of clubs..Newark, Land of Legend, 2nd tues of the month..Columbus Chippers, third Weds of the month, Lancaster, every Thursday a carve in...Another gal has a Weds get together at her place..740 587 3097, we speak NWCA, and BWA at that number...Anyone that comes over here to carve has to pay dues.. First project will be finishing the 54 inch Santa in the Garage..I'm going to get that guy finished this year even if I have to do it myself or send to Dave in Arizona...And, I have three people that would like to start wood carving , and possibly join the local club..

Comment

Working...
                              X