carving in New Hampshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carving in New Hampshire

Hi all! I have been going to New Hampshire for a few weeks now with my wife. She is a travel nurse. She is currently working at Dartmouth-Hitchcock hospital. I go with her, but I have long days waiting for her to get done work. I have tried to find places that sell carving supplies and tools. So far nothing.

Whenever I ask about buting basswood at a lumber yard the person looked at me and said do you mean baseboards?
    SO I would like to know if there any carvers in New Hampshire and where do you go to buy needed supplies?
    Please help.

Re: carving in New Hampshire

I'm not in New Hampshire, but when I buy bass wood, I go to a local lumber mill. I can usually get it cheaper and in the size I want. The last chunk I bought was 4" thick, 8" wide and 18" long and it cost me $10. The one draw back is that it isn't planed, and the outside is rough, but a minute or so with a sanding belt takes care if that. Check and see if there are any in the area. Otherwise you may have to imort some in.

Comment

If you're going from New York to New Hampshire, you are probably going through Vermont unless you swing north of us. There's Northend Hardwoods in Williston and Lyndonville that sells Basswood. First time I went into the one in Williston, the salesman said "for carving?". So they know what's going on. Here's their url http://www.northendhardwoods.com/

mikeg
      Mike B

Comment

Thanks Capt and Mikeg. I did go to a local lumber yard and asked about bass wood. I was told that it was hit or miss kinda thing. mikeg I know where Williston is. My wife goes to the Christmas Tree Shop quite a lot. We also go to the Long Horn for dinner sometimes. What part of VT are you in?

Comment

Working...
        X