X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark N. Akers
    • Nov 2005

Packing Carvings for Shipment

Today I recieved my carvings back from the CCA competition to find a piece was broken,Needless to say I am not in a good mood.I took alot of time to package it as Lynn explained in his thread to have them delievered their in great shape.But it doesn't do any good to go to that trouble when they are going to just throw them back in a box and not package them the way they were recieved.I also enclosed a sheet of paper on how to ship them back,ignored!O well that will do it for mail in competition for me.Thanks for letting me vent,I feel better now I guess I'll go see what I can do to salvage the carving.
    Mark N. Akers
    My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver
  • Ashbys
    • Apr 2024

Re: Packing Carvings for Shipment

Dang Mark !

Well this is the place to vent , I am surprised it did not have a few more adjectives ... I think mine would have !

Garry

Comment

• Mark N. Akers
      • Nov 2005

Well I am over the shock,already out trying to see if I can repair it,you know UPS isn't getting the carving.
      Mark N. Akers
      My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

• Lynn O. Doughty
        • Jan 2006

That's really too bad about your carving. That's the main reason I will never enter a carving in any mail-in competition. I don't care what anyone says, the person on the receiving end just does not care about your work as much as you do. Worse yet, at the end of the event they're only interested in getting the things boxed up and out of their hair as soon as possible.

I'd sure let them know about it!

Comment

• Kenny_S
          Senior Moment
          • Nov 2002

Sorry to hear of the carving gettiong broken.
          Yes those gorillas at the UPS of FedX or whoever, don't care how they handled the product and I am a little surprised that at a carving show, They did not take better care of your carving. Definitely would write them a letter on How bad of packing they did. After all, You sent it in a way as not to be broken and for them not to send it back, well, yep, send them a bill for the price of the carving.

I know when we were getting ready to quit at the Bishop's class, Vicki decind all our offers to assist her in wraping up their carvings and boxing them up for her and carrying out the boxes. I don't know about the rest but I felt useless in helping. However, I do understand their reasoniing, but the Carving show, No, there is no excuse there. Just slopy handling by there part.

Comment

• Goody
            • Oct 2002

Memorie's
            Just another reason I don't compete much any more. I have had wings tips broken off decorative decoys. Bills all scuffed up. But the worst was when a few of us were informed that are cavings were stolen during the night at a three day show. Unfortunatly you had to sign a release that the show was not responcible when you entered the piece.

What really ticked me off is the decoy took a ribbon.

Now I am remembering why I not only don't compete anymore but why I haven't done many decoratives since. Ash says I should finish up a few of the decorative decoy heads and make walking sticks out of them. Maybe I will! May Inspire me to get back to doing all them tiny feather lines, Painting in washes, Vermiculation, ARRHHH, Maybe I just may stick with Santas. Lot more fun! Relaxing! Enjoyable!
            Goody

Comment

• BobD (Archive)
              Archived User
              • Aug 2004

Packing things up is one of the largest sources of stress for me. I tend to go overboard, I think, when packing things to ship back to authors; I bubble wrap around the carving, put it in a highly oversized box (I'll even get a bigger box if I'm at all nervous) and pack it full of peanuts. I haven't had any break yet, but...I'm still very careful!

Bob

Comment

• Kenny_S
                Senior Moment
                • Nov 2002

BobD, I know how you pack up carvings and I can say, Bob does a fantastic job. I was beginning to wonder if the Project II carving was in there and I got it without any broken parts. Once again, I thank you.

Have friends who work for the UPS,fedX,UPP and some ofthe stories they tell about what conditions the packages are in when delieverd, scares me from shipping very many.

Comment

• whitecree
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by BobD
                  Packing things up is one of the largest sources of stress for me. I tend to go overboard, I think, when packing things to ship back to authors; I bubble wrap around the carving, put it in a highly oversized box (I'll even get a bigger box if I'm at all nervous) and pack it full of peanuts.

Bob
                  You're lucky that no elephants have discovered your boxes yet. :P

If a competition ruined one of your carvings, send them a bill. I doubt any release form covers damge occuring through poor packing on their part.

Comment

Working...
                  X