Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Hello all,
    I was wondering if anyone would care to share their experiences with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I believe that I've developed it, and am waking up in the middle of the night, my hand numb and pain shooting to my elbow. When I write or use a mouse for any period of time my hand goes numb. Carving these days is an excercise in frustration, having to put my knife down every 10 minutes to give my hand a shake.
    Has anyone had surgery to correct CTS? How long did it take to recover? Were there any troubles regaining strength in your hands?

Re: Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

A balanced B vitamin like Nature made B50, may relieve some of the swelling...Hate to say it,, retire for a few months, mouse with other hand...You all notice, I don't rant and rage about knives, palm tools any more...I hurt myself, several others I know, the same...Forgot, if you take the B vitamins,ask your doctor first...You get flushed, red etc...STOP...And, this magazine has a new writer, Chris Pye,, the lad will be talking about full size chisels...Before you cripple yourself, read what he has to say, and use that as a basis for what you use to carve in the future......

Comment

My wife has it and she wears braces at night and doesn't have many problems. She said it helps because she doesn't have many problems during the day either.

I also have a friend that's a meatcutter. And he had the surgery and he says he can now cut meat all day and not have any pain. So maybe you want to consult some docs. and see what they say.

Good luck on whatever you do it would be a bummer if it effects your ability to carve. I'll send a prayer your way.

Comment

I had it years ago when I was a police officer. My doctor said it was from writing too many tickets. You think I am kidding no I am serious that is what he said caused it. I had surgery, in fact I watched the surgery it was really neat. I have never had any more problems since none at all. I would highly recommend it.
        Colin
        Jim - The Doing is as much fun as the Viewing!
        Jackson, MS

Comment

My hands go numb a few times a day. OUt of the blue they will just tingle..and then go numb. I have been checked three times for carpal tunnel and comes back no. I do have fibromyalgia and when that flares up in my neck..my hands are affected alot during those flare ups.

Just another thought to add to the basket.. it may not be carpel tunnel.

Comment

I have lived with the problem for years. I know several people who have had the surgery with good results but also know several who regret it. Since I HATE doctors and do not want to have to give up my crafts and the classes I teach in order to get them "fixed" I have learned a number of techniques to lessen the symptoms.

I wear splints at night and rest my hands when they start acting up. I take frequent breaks for stretching while working and use ice, compression, elevation, and anti-inflammatory medicine to relieve the swelling that causes tendonitis and the symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Comment

Everyone has carpal tunnel to some extent. There is a test which they can test the degree of the damage, today there is a new surgery being used that is much simplier and almost a minor operation. They no longer cut through the wrist bands as they use to do.
              Speak with a Doctor.
              The numbness and pain , may not be carpal tunnel, it can be anything from a pinched nerve in your back, shoulder , elbow to poor blood flow and bone spurs. The only way to find out is to check with a doctor.

Things you can do to help, make your work area non stress . In other words , if your working over a bench raise it it lower it to a height , where your arms , and back are not at an unconfortable or bent over . While carving rest your hands by supporting your wrist as much as possible . And Clifford made some good suggestions. Also consider wearing supports at your wrist while carving.

The attitude about using braces has been changing , sice your body reacts with the use of support by reducing muscle , your body can actaully weaken from using braces , check with a medical doctor .

Comment

I haven't checked with a Doctor but am pretty sure that's what I have.. Mine started right away when I started using the computer in 1999. They have gotten progressively worse sense..I do use the braces at night but now they are loosing the feeling in them and I drop things alot.. It's the thumbs, and two fingers next to them on both hands. I keep saying ..I am going to have them checked.. I use to drop my hands to my side and the feeling like they are asleep would go away but now it doesn't help... I have also heard pro and con about the surgery. Charlotte

Comment

I know for sure that I have it in both wrists. My rheumatology doctor had xrays taken and confirmed it. He wants me to wear splints only at night while sleeping. I drop things a lot and my hands go numb and tingle. It's from repetative use of my hands either on the pc or wood carving. I haven't talked to the doctor about an operation but I have talked to several people who have had the operation and were not pleased with the results at all. I guess I'll have to give up carving for any period of time and also limit the time of using the pc. It seems to be the repetiveness that causes it. I'll wear the splints at night and if it doesn't help, then I'll think about an operation.

Comment

For just about any problem that comes up....I check with my chiropractor first! I can't tell you how many times a simple adjustment solved the problem..go to a Doc and they want hundreds of $$ in xrays, tests, shots etc etc on ad nauseum....might be necessary for something down the road, but now....I go to the chiropractor first! all imhoTalking
                    "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I know two people that have had surgery for Carpal Tunnel and its really helped them, but they had it so bad they couldn't even hang on to things.

Me its my elbow, is there such a thing as carvers elbow? I know there's tennis elbow and golfers elbow.
                      Mel

Comment

Mel ,
                        I know a person who started having some numbness in her hands, the test came back possitive for carpel tunnel. She selected for surgery. They cut one wrist , allowed it to heal the cut the next , So at 16 weeks , she had both wrists done. Problem , the problem had not improved but had gotten worst.
                        They did physcial thearpy 6 months later , no improvement , pain had increased. So they next went to her elbows , because the same nerve that causes numbness in the hand crosses through a section of the elbow which can also cause it to be pinched.
                        After do both elbows and healing time she was now almost 2 years involed , yet no improvement. They next moved to the shoulder. Again surgery , again no improvement , they finially removed a rib. After 6 years she still had the probelm, which they then decided was most likely being cause from excessive scaring from the first surgery. Would you like to guess what they wanted to do ? Yep more surgery. The problem has not been corrected yet that was over 10 years ago.
                        So when it comes to carpal tunnel , just remember your working with nerves, they do not repair themselves. If they are damaged they are damaged forever, well at least as I recall.
                        I only suggest you are extreamly careful about what you ask for. You might get more than you expected. The new surgery is the only way to consider the surgery, They do not cut the wrist like they use to do, and has a short recovery time. They basically clear the tunnel for the nerve without cutting the wrist tendons.
                        Talk to a doctor and always get a second opinion.
                        Ash

Comment

And get referrals! talk to people this guy has carved on......remember doctors are nothing more than mechanics...in fact I have had mechanics work on my car with better bedside manners! You hire them, you pay them.....you should get the best for your money and someone that has a clue what they are doing......sorry, I rate them somewhere above or below lawyers anymore, haven't decided yet!Cowboy
                          "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

I agree with you on that Dave with a few doctors arounded here named Carver,Hatchet,and Blade. Not joking .
                            Kind of demoralizing when they tell you Doctor Hatchet will be operating on you.

Ash, I have a couple of friends(surprise, surprise) that had CTS and had surgery and one was fine and the other, well, Basicly the same thing, Several operations and they are no better than what they were. However, they are a lot lighter in the pocketbook.

I have no faith in doctors and put it in the hands of GOD. Why do you thing they call it "Practicing medicine"? Most are drug pusher anyway.
                            The doctor that operated on Billie's knee was a good Christian man and said, God guided his hands and gave him the wisdom. He was right on on Billie's problem and fix.

Comment

I agree with you guys about surgeons, you do have to be real careful. I think my problem is just tennis elbow/ golfers elbow. Like everyone on this forum, I love to carve and I would be real cautious about having anyone cut up on my hand or any other part of my body.

I have seen a couple of folks that had back surgery and came out worse than before.
                              Mel

Comment

Working...
                              X