Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help from the Ladies

Ladies,

I want to do a carving for my wife for our anniversary. I know what I would do , but often the opinion of a man is nothing close to what the women would want.
    I have without her knowledge gotten some of our weding pics. I realized that almost all of them I chose was only of her.

I only chose one of us both , lighting a candle. If your husband did a carving for you would you prefer one with both of you in it or a single portrait of just you.

Your help is very welcomed .

Garry

Re: Need help from the Ladies

Garry,

If you are doing one of your wedding day, well thats a tough one. At first I was going to say you better put both of you in it, but, then again, if you did just your wife you can always come up with a line like, " . . .you were/are so beautiful I just had to preserve you forever in wood". Talking Then too is the thing that if she's in a "mood" and you leave yourself out of it she might say something like, "so you don't want to be with me anymore"? Hammer Seriously, nice idea. Good luck

Comment

Nancy ,

jeeze , Are you and my wife sisters ? !

I thought women were always in a mood ......Talking

Thanks for the help ..... I think.

=)
      Well here are the three pics , they will be worked on before I start as they need to be better for the pattern . Might help.

I am leaning towards the first

Comment

What a wonderful idea. My vote is for the two of you together as that is what the day was all about.

Keran

Comment

Well Ash, I ain't no ladies but here is my opinion.er ya ready?

Since it is BOTH of your anniverary and not just her's or yours, Both of you in the picture. Stands to reason eh.
          Now for another present down the road, The middle picture of your lovey little bride for say for a Christmas present ot just an "I love You" present. Ain't never hear of that eh??

Now don't do what I have done and bought my little bride a 30-06 for her birthday,
          a Savage 308 for her Christmas present, a Smith and Wesson model 27 trooper special 357 for another birthday, a 243,a ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yep, I know how to woo my little bride for sure. I be a Romeo huh?
          heheheheh, nah like a said, sometimes a "I love You" present does wonders.
          best to you Ash and I bet you will come up with the right one for sure. It'll make her cry!

Comment

Ash, another thought come to mind.. I think she will be very happy with either decision you make as they will both say something very special to her . The other thought I had is ..years to come this carving will be handed down from generation to generation and what do you want it to say to them also. Oh, look at my Great Grandmother on her wedding day or look at my Great Grandfather and Great Gra dmother on their wedding day... Just an extra thought . Either way, it will be a very special carving. Charlotte

Comment

Keran ,
              nice to see you post =) . This is why I asked for the ladies opinion.

Kenny ,
              I can really do that very well , See my anniversary is like really close to Christmas. Dec. 30. So the thrid year I learned real quick , might get away with it at Christmas , but never twice within a week Talking . I never use the I love you gift.. I have from time to time used the just thinking of you flowers , but for some reason every time I do she thinks I have done something wrong. But I really lucked out , Her birthday is in April , so you want to guess what her birthstone is ! Come to think of it I have never seen her return a birthday gift .............. she did lose one once ...but thats another story.

Charlotte ,
              I have a cabinet that has been in my family for many many years , it was made by my great great great great grandfather for his wife as a weding present. I can see the craftsmanship he put into the cabinet, with the hand forged cut nails and saw marks, But you know what I can't see is my grandmother. Thank You something to really consider.

Garry

Comment

Hi Ash, first of all what a lovely lady and handsome couple. Next I think your wife would want the two of you as it was your wedding day too. I think it's a wonderful gift that as others have said will be handed down though your family.
                Hope you will share your WIP with us--please.
                Kathy

Comment

Garry, I too have an old cabinet that was handed down from many generations..The old couple that my Great Aunt took in left it to her an I don't know the history behind them but each generation has left something in that cabnet ending with one of Curtis carvings that has two little hummingbirds and tiny hand carved flowers on a special Santa.. It matched the dishes in the cabnet perfectly.. but oh how wonderful it would be to have a hand carved picture of one or two of the desendents in there. Sense it was your Great Great Great Great Grandfather, then how nice to have your picture with your wife in there also. Charlotte

Comment

The two of you together as an anniversary gift. For a special 'just because' gift, I like the one where your lady is holding the flowers, but the fuzzed profile picture would make an excellent deep relief carving.

So how long have you had your ball and chain around her ankle?

Comment

Kathy ,
                      Thank you. You know as the years has passed she has gotten more beautiful , me I just got older .

When people me us I am asked how did YOU every get that lucky ... I tell them I lied well .

Now when people ask her... she tells them I lied !

Whitecree , 26 years she has been stuck with me. Now the really amazing part is she has actually put up with me that long .. hell most of the time I would Divorce me !

See there is a good reason to ask , I would never consider adding myself to the carving. But I think I know what I will do if I can get the pattern right.

Thanks all .
                      Garry

Comment

I vote for both of you together. And both your names on it?

I've seen a shadow box that would be a neat idea for you too. Not to be morbid.. but this shadow box had two dowels in it that when one passed..their wedding ring was placed on it. Both rings were in there with wedding picture and a momento from each milestone anniversary the couple had. THere was ribbon from the wedding in there too. It was really touching. Maybe have a spot on your carving where the rings can be placed later?

Comment

Ash,

Very sweet idea! And I'm with the majority - carve both of you. This would also be a great heirloom to pass down to one of your sons.

Jillsy

Comment

I vote for both of you too.

Comment

Ash,
                              If it were me, it would definitely mean more to have both in the carving. I think it is a wonderful idea. Please share progress pics of whatever your choice is. I am sure whatever you decide will be beautiful and your lovely wife will cherish it.
                              Mary

Comment

Working...
                              X