Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just finished carving ...

A glass mirror.

While in Ridgeway Colin asked me to do something for him, and since I had not really done a lot of portrait work , I decided to play a bit. I had been planning to do a mirror for a while , but this gave me the chance to combine 3 different events.

My wifes birthday , a portrait from a photo , and the mirror. Many of you saw the pic I was planning on for an anniversary gift , will here is the one I chose to do in the mirror, Sorry for the photos , and the funny looking guy in there but I think they came out well.

Ron ,
    It is a portrait of my wife in her wedding gown holding a bridal bouquet of roses, I combined it with one of Susan patterns of a humming bird, and place three of them about her. Then I ran leafs around the outer edge of the mirror and then added gold to the birds and the mirror for effect. Then under her picture I added the date of our wedding.

Garry

Re: I just finished carving ...

Sounds like a great project Ash. She will be very pleased. Great Job!!
    Ron

Comment

Hey Garry, am I understanding right, these are laser etched? If so I’m in the memorial business ( wyliemonuments.com ) and I have a customer that wants a memorial keepsake basically a 12 x 12 x 3/8 black granite tile, a memorial for the home, with an etching of her boyfriend and his jeep and a portion of a poem, a portrait and text basically. I recieved a quote today for this from my granite supplier and (sit down) MY COST was $368.00, way to expensive. I found a company on line that can do the same thing for $70.00 plus shipping.

Is this something you can do? And would you be interested in doing these??

I can send you samples of what I’m looking for. I can also set you up with suppliers for 3/8 black granite in various shapes like ovals, hearts, etc.

Comment

Tony,

sent you a pm and Yes I have done memorial work in the past, would be happy to look at it.

Garry

Comment

Garry,

That's very impressive. I'm always interested in new mediums and techniques. Do you use a CAD-like program to set up the laser etch?

(I also noticed that you're smoking a pipe in the one photograph. Have you tried carving a pipe yet?)

Comment

...looks fantastic Ash!!
            When I cut myself, I bleed sawdust!
            Please view my carving website and blog site: http://3crosseswoodcarving.com
            My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/3CrossesWoodcarving
            My Email: [email protected]
            My Face book Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/3Cros...g/267742984970

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/3CrWoodcarving
            My Etsy Store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/garymcdaniel

Comment

These pics from a reference book I have aren't done on a computer, but are actually hand carved into the glass,these are not etchings or laser. They also had full color portraits etched into the glass such as the one you are doing,,but I thought you'd enjoy seeing some actual carvings.The book also has complete walls of a building where the bricks are carved into railroad scenes and various other things.It's amazing what some people will actually carve.This reference is over 15 yrs old,, but I think the stuff still looks great.

Comment

Mark , nice pics ,

Glass carving has been done for years, engraving cutters and sand blasting has been used since the early 1900's.

Anything can be carved if you wish to take the time to do it, the difference is today the means to do it are different. You can easily use a diamond tip and hand carve glass.

It is all about what you would like to do.

Ash

Comment

Oh,, I'm well aware of how it was done,,I've done some myself.I just like the way these look.As I said there were entire walls done with full color laser "etchings" if you will,just as yours is,,but carvings in different mediums,though it has nothing to do with a wood carving site,,still is interesting to see.I need to get my hands on a current volume to see what these guys are doing today,,but even as I said , considering the age ,, these carvings will never go out of style.

Comment

Agreed Mark , I find art of all types worth looking at and learning about. Besides I think that is why we have an off topic area, so things of this type can be shown and seen. I mean when you consider the posibilities of combining carving , etching , cutting , burning, painting into single pieces of art, it really is amazing at what can be done by one person.

Comment

Ash,

I could see why you'd want to immortalize your wife like this, she's very pretty!

Jillsy

Comment

Working...
                      X