Metis genealogy forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Metis genealogy forum

I would be very happy to have you come and tell me more about your one-man war. LOL. I love listening to people's stories; who married who and how those cultures have influenced your artwork. It's very interesting to me. I look forward to sharing with you there.

Ken

Comment

Excuse me if I am wrong but isn't Metis culture founded on racial bias. What I mean is the people of mixed culture ( in former times)were not accepted by either of their parents cultures.
      As for your metis web site, it can only help create empathy and understanding.

Comment

Not trying to start any rows here, but in my experience, 1st nations cultures are - for the most part - more accepting of Metis than European cultures.

Comment

No row here! This is all educational. So why weren't the metis offspring simply assimilated into the Native cultures?

Comment

Smee;

This is just my own experience here and it is coming from an artists standpoint, but before I had a card that proved my Native heritage, the galleries weren't too friendly to me. Even though I had photographs and a family tree with Native individuals in it...they wanted to see a card that said I was of Native ancestry. I was even kicked out of one well-known gallery because the other Native artists objected to the gallery having me there because I had no card. Maybe things are different in the States than in Canada? I am in touch with Ojibwe and Sioux Elders in Canada and the U.S. and they accepted me right away, as they said a person that can carve the things I carve had to have Native blood. They didn't question me, but they told me that the younger generation wouldn't see it the way they did.

Has anyone else had any experience with being a white Indian? I'd like to hear more on this.

Ken

Comment

Working...
            X