• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chris Pye website

sunspots?? ROFLOL

Comment

All this social networking is new to me and can consume so much time but I will make an effort to check this forum weekly. As we move ahead there will be many, many more project which I will document from start to finish and when appropriate there will be working drawings that you can download.
      I know what you mean, Chris does have a way of making carving look easy, although I have to say that when I allow myself enough time in the studio, usually at about the three hour mark, the carving really begins to flow for me as well.
      Honey, can you bring my laptop. Might make a good advertizing slogan for us!
      cheers,
      Carrie

Comment

I just signed up for Chris Pye's online carving workshops a week ago, after having started doing a couple of lessons from his books. It is really fantastic! They are now up to 275 videos and still climbing. . .

I'm very pleased. Right now one of my biggest priorities is to improve my carving skills and general efficiency. Chris's well organized and methodical approach suits me well. Recently this year I returned to making carvings for the tourist market. In this type of production, it is extremely important to be able to work quickly and efficiently, which I never did very well in the past. However, now I feel as though I'm being pointed in the right direction, thanks to Chris's videos (and books also).

Might also add that I find the video images very clear and easy to follow. The introductory music is nice, too. . . fairly low key and relaxing.

Comment

Chariot,
          Are you still using Chris' on-line instruction?
          Looks like it has been a while since you posted about this and I thought a follow up response would be beneficial.

Thanks,
          Jim

Comment

Anyone using the Chris Pye videos website now? If so, have you found them helpful? I\'ve watched the demo videos and am considering signing up.
            Arthur

Comment

C\'mon, you guys and gals! Surely someone has tried these videos...don\'t be shy, let\'s hear from you...you\'re not going to make me the guinea pig, are you? If I open my wallet unnecessarily more moths will escape!
              Arthur

Comment

I was hoping that somebody would answer you, too Arthur!
                I would think that his stuff would be worth the cost. The demos were good and his books sure are.
                I guess the only thing that I can do is...encourage you to open your wallet (while wearing goggles and a dustmask) give it try and report back!

THANKS!

Jim

Comment

I love Chris\\\' site & videos. There is nothing of it scope and caliber on the web.
                  Until I retired and a fixed income limits my expenditures for hobbys I was enrolled with his website and loved it.

Sign me,
                  A big Chris Pye fan

Comment

Well, I bit the bullet a few weeks ago and signed up on the Pye site. Not expensive, and if you sign up for the year you get it for ten times the monthly rate.

I chose to go monthly to try it out. The videos are really good, but the number of videos they say are available, while truthful, is a bit misleading. A single carving project, for example, could consist of maybe ten videos of say a ten minute average length. I really thought that there would be more extensive content.

Also, a few of the projects, while vehicles for teaching, are rather silly, to my way of thinking, such as carving a wearable necktie, and a shirt.

So, bottom line, is the site worthwhile, in my opinion? Absolutely, but I can\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'t see paying for it for a year. I will no doubt stay on for a month or so longer, time to see the videos all at least once, then cancel. The instruction is very good, but how many times will you watch the same carving being done?
                    Last edited by Arthur C.; 03-04-2016, 10:24 AM. Reason: Typo
                    Arthur

Comment

THANKS for the reports!

Comment

I have been a fan of this site for some time. I do not know of any place you can go to learn as much about carving as you can there! Not for the small investment. I have spent a lot of money over the years on classes and seminar. None of which were as comprehensive as this site. Plus you can Email Chris any time you have a question. They have always answered. If you are new at carving you will learn a lot. I highly recommend it. Covers safety, tool and their care, how to use the tools , how to work with wood grains and much more. I had been carving for many years and have learn a lot. Plus you can watch the videos over and over if you need to. Very good camera work you can see what he is doing and he talks you though why he is doing what he is doing. I am a big fan of this site.

Comment

Working...
                        X