X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• basic face carving vid tutorial -beginner to intermediate

How To Carve a Face Tutorial, basics, beginner, wood carving - YouTube
    Hello all!
    I've been starting to work on and post a series of wood carving tutorial videos. I've been teaching some of my friends to carve and I wanted to share some of the things they had problems with in hopes of helping others get a little better or see a new technique or way of approaching carving.
    The first video(it's split in three on youtube but in a playlist) is on basic face dynamics. I'm not teaching how to do features or finishing details. I'm specifically going over the 3d thinking and carving of the face. This seems to trouble allot of carvers who don't have extensive anatomy backgrounds. I'm personally an animator and have had 10 years of formal anatomy study and a few years now of experience as a professional in the world of animation.
    Please let me know if you have other problems in carving that you would like me to address or just send me a picture of your carving at [email protected] and i'll send back constructive criticism.
    Thanks so much for your time,
    Daniel
    my blog is:
    Schpoingle
    and the video link again is:
    How To Carve a Face Tutorial, basics, beginner, wood carving - YouTube

Re: basic face carving vid tutorial -beginner to intermediate

Very good tutorials well done

Mike

Comment

I don't want to be the southend of a northbound horse, but I would have to title yr video how not to carve a face. why? well to begin with you have violated every safety rule out there. You said in yr video my tools aren't sharp. big safety issue. next, no glove, no tie down no nothing. and you seem to be quite accomplished, but you ran thru the lessons quite hurridly hardly the manner for safe carving.
      if I watch a ian norbury video I get the impression that he has a deep respect for the art, the tools, the wood, the subject and safety. Im not sure what impression Im getting from your video, except you were in a big hurry.
      Again I don't want to offend you, but bear in mind we have every skill level here, from the greatly accomplished to never held a knife before to all points in between. I have been severly whacked and re=stitched and I take safety really seriously. I just hate to have some new carver watch the video and think that is way I should carve and get seriously hurt.
      I have been carving for awhile and I know a lot of carvers. Some downright fantastic and I have never seen a carver wale away at a piece of wood like that.
      Sorry I would have to guess your intentions to be good, but it almost seems like a add for your services. I don't know that wci allows that, but regardless, maybe its just me, but I have the feeling of unsafe watching it.

Comment

I applaud your efforts to share your interests in carving! I can tell by your hands that you are much younger than me and I'm always glad to see younger carvers. You might be able to reach, to communicate better with other young folks than an old codger like me! I did notice that you were careful with most cuts you made and had control of your tools, as evidenced by the fact that you didn't bleed! But you did a few things that made me cringe and pray for your safety! You might like a glove, if you carve holding things in your hand! Keep at it!
        'If it wasn't for caffeine, I wouldn't have any personality at all!"

http://mikepounders.weebly.com/
        https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mike-...61450667252958
        http://centralarkansaswoodcarvers.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for your video as a new carver, it is always fun to watch someone carve

Comment

You might be able to reach, to communicate better with other young folks than an old codger like me! I did notice that you were careful with most cuts you made and had control of your tools, as evidenced by the fact that you didn't bleed! But you did a few things that made me cringe and pray for your safety! You might like a glove, if you carve holding things in your hand! Keep at it!

Comment

As a young man your wood carving is good, however you have decided not to
              take no safety precautions which could lead to serious accidents
              to any young folks trying to learn hoe to carve, I\'m not critiquing your work,
              it\'s just a thought that came to my mind while viewing your video.
              Oscar

Comment

Working...
              X