Resetting the Day on search for new is rather early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resetting the Day on search for new is rather early

Wow - most days it kills me at 11pm and that makes the west coast 9pm. Meaning there is zero messages new or maybe a few. Some of us look at night and others in the day. How about resetting the day at 4 a.m. or thereabouts so Night Owls tired of carving or just about to go can read messages. Tonight at 10 it was reset. Zero new posts. Takes the enjoyment out of seeing what is going on. Now we have to hunt under various categories. Just a suggestion and I think a good one for many of us. Martin Eastburn - aka lionslair

Have you set your time zone in your user account? That might help.
    Not as convenient, in the advanced search you can search for all post after a specific time, make sure the "since last visit" box is unchecked to use it.

Comment

Didn't know there was a resetting feature. In fact, I have the opposite problem. I can not "mark channels read". I read all new posts in a forum topic and they stay highlighted as un-read. I'll click the "mark all channels read" and it does nothing. Messages will, however, show they've been read after several weeks. Am I missing something?
      ....Dave
      Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
      www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

Unfortunately, that's not a setting I can change since we're using the cloud-based version of vBulletin. I'll submit a ticket, though, and see what we can do.

Best Regards,
        Bob Duncan
        Technical Editor, Woodworking/DIY

Comment

Being a night person also and a early morning one. I understand. Besides the time difference issues it is summer. Lots more family activities, people just have more outdoor time with sunlight late into the evenings. The Forum seems more active when it is dark at 6pm and too cold to carve on the porch.
          We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

With me. I am six hours behind you if you are on the east coast, 12 hours difference from those posting from the European zone, Three hours behind those on the west coast US. Japan.... go over the dateline lose a day. So no matter the results... time to do things is not the same as everyone else. Martin, it would be great if we were all on the same time clock....but the earth is round and we spin....into this dizzy mass of timeless space. If I had my way I get rid of time and make it matter of the action, in other words,... if you did nothing today....then you stuck in a warp zone. The only time I have a time issue is when someone who lives somewhere else....forgets these facts and calls me in the middle of night when they are having the breakfast coffee.

Comment

Maybe I don't understand the problem, but posts don't disappear at midnight.
              Arthur

Comment

My time zone was one zone off. Should not make a lot of difference. I thought the whole group reset at the same time for "New" Martin

Comment

We are at 10:22 PM 7/2/2018 and the new reset. A few minutes before I read down the list several new posts. Showed my son several. With fingers crossed and a hope he will start someday. Now all is old. All times are GMT-6 and this was generated at 9:22 pm on the page below the 'go to the top'. Wish we had user based resets. Such is software and life. Martin

Comment

There must be a real time clock being used in software that goes crazy or if this is a cloud based, they might be switching 'clouds' for backups and maintenance and time zones are based on the cloud reference to us. Might be in Europe some times. Tonight it reset around 8 pm. Maybe a user based reset would be best. Go on vacation and come back to a large NEW - read what you want and reset to start over. Then everyone would be based on their own and could reset anytime or never. Had to much time in software checking and specs I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                    X