Clear All

• Editor

Did we lose another Editor?

Don't understand?
    Bill
    Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

I received the new WCI today and no editor in chief listed in the magazine.

Comment

OK, thanks and don't know the answer but someone should chime in.
        Bill

Comment

I've been doing some thinking about WCI and that very subject. I think that I've been subscribing to WCI for at least twenty-years or more and during that time I also subscribed to The Carving magazine before it folded. I really wonder how much longer WCI can stay in publication. Many of the stores and other locations that sell magazines and books are doing away with these items and filling the spaces with products with a greater turnover and higher profit margins. With this trend in mind, can WCI exist solely from book store and online orders or will they have to go completely digital or at worst case close the doors completely. It would be a terrible blow to the carving community to lose them but with many of our carvers posting free tutorials on You Tube and websites such as the online "Woodcarver Online Magazine" (WOM), digital may be come the way of the future.

Comment

I'll guess that the survivorship is in question right now.
            The nearest city newspaper up here has been in print for about a century.
            Fairly big daily with a number of industry awards.
            Since retiring and moving out of the city, I've been reading that paper online for years.

Then they dropped the Monday morning paper.

Two weeks ago, they dropped the paper editions altogether.
            Instead, a digital version and a weekly free paper printing.

Keep your eyes on the horizon. The hard copies are going away.
            Brian T

Comment

So sad. I for one, really appreciate the feel, touch, aesthetic of a printed book, magazine, periodical. I used to subscribe to at least ten different publications a month until the price just became unmanageable on a fixed income. I appreciate being able to look at a shelf full of books and such and rummage through to find the article I'm interested in. In the process, I usually find two or three other things that caught my interest as I searched. With a digital publication, you'd be using a search engine of some sort to find the item you were looking for and in the process would miss some of those other items/articles that might pique your interest. Such a shame really. Guess that's why they call us old codgers. Just not quite up to the snuff of today I guess.

Tinwood

Comment

Maybe they will go to a digital publication and also a magazine for a premium cost. That would be the best but suspect the all-digital is around the corner. Online sure seems to be the future for everything, including movies. Such is progress I guess.
                Bill

Comment

Let's not start the funeral dirge over one editor's replacement.
                  Arthur

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur C. View Post
                    Let's not start the funeral dirge over one editor's replacement.
                    I certainly was just asking a question. If I remember correctly, Mindy vanished without any word and it looks like John is on his way as well. I just like communication as this seems like a carving family to me. I don't expect the magazine to go away anytime too soon. Though who would have guessed the Dayton show is a thing of the past.......... Cheers!

Comment

I wouldn't get too worried about the mag's survival due to a change in editors. I was in the media biz for nearly 40 years (editor, publisher, writer, etc) and turnover is very common. Heck, I still write a column for a regional mag, and in the past 15 years it has gone through five or six editors.

But, yeah . . . print is becoming increasingly rare, and will continue to follow that trend. Print mags with an older demographic will likely hang on longer than anyone else.

Of course, if anyone at WCI is reading this, and they need a freelance editor, I'd be happy to toss my hat in the ring.
                      Last edited by Rontana; 10-18-2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by foamer01 View Post

I certainly was just asking a question. If I remember correctly, Mindy vanished without any word and it looks like John is on his way as well. I just like communication as this seems like a carving family to me. I don't expect the magazine to go away anytime too soon. Though who would have guessed the Dayton show is a thing of the past.......... Cheers!
                        I seem to remember a column that mentioned Mindy left because a change in her husband's employment made a change of location necessary...or something like that. Notification that Fox Chapel is moving to new and larger facilities seems to indicate at least the parent company is doing well.
                        Arthur

Comment

I hope they back up this forum data base in the event they do"alter" their business approaches. That way it can easily be replicated on another site. I wouldn't mind hosting it....anyway, random thoughts and do hope they continue as is. The magazine is great, the forum is great...no complaints.
                          Bill

Comment

Working...
                          X