New to forum, starting whittling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to forum, starting whittling

Hello everyone, new to the forum, just want to give a brief introduction about me.
    As a kid, I got the chance to grow up in both urban and rural areas, so I had my hands on various types of wood ever since I remember. I believe, my interest in dendrology comes from those days. However, I did not take it as a hobby/lifestyle until some months ago. I carved a whale tail pendant from ash wood for my girlfriend by using a pocket knife. It wasn't a detailed piece of art, but it meant a lot to her (we are both ocean engineers, so I thought it was a good idea to give her an ocean related item). So, with her liking and very positive feedback from our friends, I decided to start it as a hobby and started researching.
    I will be starting carving as a hobby this summer, until then I will be searching around your works, learning the theory and technique from your works and I will try them by myself later on. (Sorry if I made grammar mistakes, english is not my native language)
    Thanks for reading. Have a good day.

Welcome. What's your first language? Your english is just fine.

One major thing you need to know about the WCI Forums = just a couple of years ago, this place got hacked very badly.
    While it was possible to recover the texts of threads, there are thousands and thousands of pictures that disappeared.
    So, searching back in the archives will be frustrating to find all the text but no illustrations.
    Brian T

Comment

Welcome to the forum I hope you stay for a long time and post magnificent works of art.... maybe we can learn a thing or two from you.
      What type of carving are you interested in learning?
      ~ Dwight
      "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

Welcome, Turhans. We are all learners here. So just jump in.
        HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

, glad to have you, had to look up dendrology, to see what kind of guy you are . Anyways this is a great place to ask your and get ideas, again welcome
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Welcome to the forum. The study of trees will help you find your wood for this new hobby. Where do you reside? Your wood of choice may be in your area.
            Carve On,
            Kadiddle

Comment

Welcome to the forum and welcome to carving!
              Terry

Comment

Welcome to the WCI Forum. You will find some really talented and generous carvers who are always welling to help with all things relating to carvings and then some. This site is dedicated to all carvers whether beginner, intermediate or advanced.

Comment

Welcome to the forums!

Claude
                  My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Welcome to the forum. My advice is to read everything about sharpening the knives and chisels, take notes as you go along. When you think you know everything there is to know about sharpening, start at the beginning and read it again and again take notes. A dull carving tool will discourage you faster than anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                      Welcome. What's your first language? Your english is just fine.

One major thing you need to know about the WCI Forums = just a couple of years ago, this place got hacked very badly.
                      While it was possible to recover the texts of threads, there are thousands and thousands of pictures that disappeared.
                      So, searching back in the archives will be frustrating to find all the text but no illustrations.
                      Thanks for the warning sir, I am from Turkey, so my native language is Turkish.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
                        Welcome to the forum I hope you stay for a long time and post magnificent works of art.... maybe we can learn a thing or two from you.
                        What type of carving are you interested in learning?
                        Thank you Dwight, I would love to post my works here for you to criticize, so I can get better I am interested in animal carving and figure carving. I carved some kitchen utensils before and enjoyed doing it.

Comment

honketyhank joepaulbutler Nomad Kadiddle Mottles Claude Thank you all for your kind wishes. I look forward to post some of the works I will do in near future.

Comment

Originally posted by dogcatcher View Post
                            Welcome to the forum. My advice is to read everything about sharpening the knives and chisels, take notes as you go along. When you think you know everything there is to know about sharpening, start at the beginning and read it again and again take notes. A dull carving tool will discourage you faster than anything.
                            Thank you sir, I agree with you about sharpening knives. Will do

Comment

As you probably noticed the forum is divided up into sections of interest. I am a bird carver and tend to stick with birds so I post in Animal and Bird Carving, now there are others here who carve figure and you will find them posting in Caricature and Flat Plane Sections. If you have any questions regarding any of the processes or how someone did something.... just ask. People here are more than willing to help and give direction. Best of luck and most of all make your carving experience fun... not challenging. One more thing don't feel bad if you turn something out that is not great at first, we all started there.
                              ~ Dwight
                              "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

Working...
                              X