Just saying hi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just saying hi!

Hi! I'm Angie. I wanted to introduce myself since I have many questions and soon will be bombarding you folks with them. I've only been carving for a couple months and am absolutely kicking myself for not getting into this sooner. About 25 years ago I took a wood shop class in middle school. It was a requirement however I liked it so much that the following year I took it as an elective. I really enjoyed it but for some strange reason when the class ended I never touched woodworking again. Then about a year ago I bought a cheap Dremel-like rotary tool for doing minor repairs around the house. I used it once and forgot about it. One day I picked up my son's chisel set and tried to carve some scrap pieces of wood. I enjoyed it but I was terrible at it. I felt like I was onto something but this wasn't exactly the fit for me. Then the lightbulb went off and I wiped the dust off the rotary tool. I didn't use it right away. I'm a cautious person. I had to research it first. Many Youtube videos and library books later I finally carved a fish. It's not a great fish but it's my fish lol. Now I have to say the feeling I got when I was carving was what sealed my fate. It was the most relaxed I think I had ever felt. The sound of the tool as it was grinding bits off and the smell of the wood in the air was like home to me. Sounds silly I know. Since then I've done a couple relief carvings and just picked up some basswood eggs to practice faces on. So thanks for having me. I'm hoping to learn as much as I can here and I'm looking forward to this new journey.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Hi Angie , Welcome to a Whole New Experience , and I'm sure you'll Enjoy your stay and hope it will be a Long one. I have to tell you this, ( it could be Addictive ) . Ha,Ha. Merle

Comment

"From humble beginnings come great things!" Hi Angie, and welcome. I'm relatively new to this forum myself (been carving longer), but it is a welcoming community and I'm sure you'll learn a lot and meet lots of nice folks. Don't be afraid to ask questions and don't be shy to show off your work. Looking forward to seeing your progress...

Tom

Comment

Welcome to the forums, Angie!

Claude
        My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
        My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
        My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
        My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

We often judge ourselves too harshly when we are learning something..... woodcarving is a major learning process. Asking questions is the only way for you to learn what you are doing right and what you are doing wrong. And when you ask, not only for you but everyone who reads your post will learn things. Most people here do it because it is very relaxing. People here are often the nicest people I have ever known so feel free to ask tons of questions....until you get answers that help you. One thing if you want to know how to make your wood carving better ask...you may get lots of little suggestions to help you on your way.
          . Explore! Dream! Discover!” aloha Di

Comment

Welcome Angie! Yup, you gut the bug. No shots or medicine will cure it. Yer stuck with it. Now be prepared to learn and learn and learn. Don't be in a great hurry to buy stuff but just be edumacated and have your mad money stashed away when yer ready.

Now--that is a wonderful fish you carved. It may not look pretty or advanced, but like you said--it's your fish. Sign it, date it and keep it forever. Do not recarve it or throw it away or hide it or anything else. You done did your first carving and it should, and will be, your most cherished. Not because it's your first carving, but because it was the first step to the most wonderful thing one could accomplish in their lifetime on this earth. Being able to create a carving from a block of wood is really cool and neat and wonderful and all of the adjectives we hear and in your case, will hear. And my favorite thing to hear is, "I wish I could do that." And my answer is, "You can't." And the look I get is kind of funny. But then, I quickly follow with, "Because you haven't tried!. All you need to do is try." And as you have found out, it is a peaceful place we go to when we carve. So, learn, be safe, have fun, and keep on carving!

Bob L

Comment

Hello Angie, welcome.

Comment

Welcome, Truffles. Keep us up to date with your journey. Getting into this woodcarving thing is like getting into the ocean. You can go wide, long, deep or any combination of the three. And lots of fun to be had on the way.
                HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Welcome, Angie. Your first carving, a fish, you say? You have to keep it.
                  Maybe hang it in a window on a length of mono fishing line.
                  Brian T

Comment

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I will definitely keep my fish. I actually carry it around with me like some sort of stress ball. lol

Comment

A fish huh, I bet you're hooked now . You for some reason you don't seem to be a bashful person, so telling you not to be afraid of asking questions. This site is a book of knowledge, with a bunch of great authors, so if you cot the questions ask them. OH, I almost forgot WELCOME!
                        . . .JoeB

Comment

If you carry your fish around, I think you need to check out "comfort bird". I'll let you Google it up because there are several links you can follow and see what you think. Here's a PDF that comes from the WCI magazine. It's easy to carve and it doesn't have to be perfect. It will help you bone up on skills like cuts and learning how wood grain works. It's best the bird sits in your hand comfortably and like it should be there all the time. Have fun!

Bob L

Comment

welcome, and , a beauty of a fish too , he's a keeper !
                            Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Just Carving View Post
                              If you carry your fish around, I think you need to check out "comfort bird". I'll let you Google it up because there are several links you can follow and see what you think. Here's a PDF that comes from the WCI magazine. It's easy to carve and it doesn't have to be perfect. It will help you bone up on skills like cuts and learning how wood grain works. It's best the bird sits in your hand comfortably and like it should be there all the time. Have fun!

Bob L
                              I love this. What a wonderful thing to make for someone. I can see just making those to give away becoming addictive. Thanks for sharing that!

Comment

Working...
                              X