Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greetings from a portuguese in Finland !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jorge Mac
    replied
    Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
    Boy, you can't feel like a newbie by the neat greats you've received so far, & I'll add my own too. Be sure to post your works & and save the first one for yourself a later time of reflection
    Hi, thanks and I apologize once more for late answer
    My first one was a wood spirit, looks pretty first timer, but there are valuable lessons in it

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• Jorge Mac
    replied
    Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
    Welcome. Alder stays good before it dries. Kept wet for First Nations mask carving here.
    Birch stiffens up, does about the same. Willow goes from cheese to bone.
    The conifers are OK if you need no fine details. I like western red cedar, some yellow cedar, pine and birch.

Linden/Lime/Basswood are all closely related species of Tilia. Personally, I think you're better off with your local woods such as birch and alder.

See any tools from Narex (CZ)? Hans Karrlson is up your way, very good reputation. Dave Budd in the UK is an excellent bladesmith.
    Morakniv (Frost) in Sweden has a good variety of carving tools. You're closer to PFeil,Stubai and Aurioux than I am.

Hi, thanks a bunch for your input, I apologize for the late answer.
    And yes, some of my tools are Narex, not high quality but pretty good for my works, some are Pfeil and some are from unknown origin
    I think until I get good enough, there's no point in spending a whole lot of money on tools, I started with much worse tools, I guess I'm improving as I go.

Cheers

Leave a comment:

• JJF
    replied
    welcome to the forum.

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    Boy, you can't feel like a newbie by the neat greats you've received so far, & I'll add my own too. Be sure to post your works & and save the first one for yourself a later time of reflection

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Welcome. Alder stays good before it dries. Kept wet for First Nations mask carving here.
    Birch stiffens up, does about the same. Willow goes from cheese to bone.
    The conifers are OK if you need no fine details. I like western red cedar, some yellow cedar, pine and birch.

Linden/Lime/Basswood are all closely related species of Tilia. Personally, I think you're better off with your local woods such as birch and alder.

See any tools from Narex (CZ)? Hans Karrlson is up your way, very good reputation. Dave Budd in the UK is an excellent bladesmith.
    Morakniv (Frost) in Sweden has a good variety of carving tools. You're closer to PFeil,Stubai and Aurioux than I am.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    Welcome to the forums!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• honketyhank
    replied
    Greetings Jorge. Welcome.

Leave a comment:

• Jorge Mac
    replied
    Hi Bob K.
    Limewood is same as Lindenwood, just different names

Leave a comment:

• Bob K.
    replied
    Welcome to the forums! You might want to try to find some lime wood. I understand lime wood is available in some parts out your way and is similar to basswood.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    Welcome, it is always interesting to get input from a woodcarver working in a different area of the world.

Leave a comment:

• Jorge Mac
    started a topic Greetings from a portuguese in Finland !

Greetings from a portuguese in Finland !

Hello everybody!

I haven't, sometimes, got as much time as I would like to dedicate to my carvings, but been on and off, carving for about three years. Still haven't got the tools I would like to, but the ones I got are good enough and I do my best to keep them tiptop sharped.

Hope to learn more from you all and hopefully also share my learned knowledge.

Also if someone here is from Finland, I sure would appreciate some advices on where to find the best woods, I can't find Linden almost at all, so been mainly using pine, alder, aspen, birch and some kinds of wood that the name escapes me

Cheers!!!
Working...
X