No announcement yet.

Hi From UK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AAh Bob I recognise that hinged Santa from another Facebook group - I am very impressed with that mate

Comment

1st attempt with found piece of wood

Comment

you're on a roll. looking good !
        Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Thanks made some Mods when someone mentioned the mouth looked a bit unfortunate

Comment

Think the project is doomed - would you agree ?

Comment

updated - Any thoughts ?

Comment

By all accounts, I'd say that you've done a pretty decent job here. In my world, this is a keeper. If you are not satisfied with it, keep it for future reference as a tool to improve your work. None of us are truly 100% satisfied with the carvings we've done but at least we can say we've tried something and if it doesn't meet our expectations we learn and move on.

Tinwood

Comment

sure he is a keeper. the gale force wind caught his moustache and sent it whirling... no problem. leave him just as he is and if inclined ,start another.
                  one coat of boiled linseed oil will augment the weathered.rustic look to him.
                  Denny

Comment

I tried too hard with this one to get depth and I think it became slightly stylised ( wood spirits always are of course )
                    Chops to stixandstonescarving https://www.youtube.com/user/stixand...rving/featured who I copied quite a lot for this one
                    also https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-e...NxYKQ/featured Doug Linker for the original inspiration to get carving

2 Wonderful you tube channels

Having only carved basswood , carving green sycamore ( from my garden ) was a revelation , its hard but takes sooo much detail ( Not that my carvings can show it )
                    plus when its sanded , but with some of the bark kept on its looks and feels really good

Deffo a keeper and V1.0 that I will look to improve upon
                    Last edited by BennyGesserit; 02-13-2019, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Just a part of a face shows clearly that the viewer's mind can and will fill in what's missing.
                      Whole faces are the usual. Why not carve the unusual? The face in #21 is complete as far as I can tell.
                      After you have carved a lot of sycamore and got some sense of the wood, find some birch.
                      Brian T

Comment

so true RV, sometimes suggestions only are quite sufficient
                        Denny

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                          Just a part of a face shows clearly that the viewer's mind can and will fill in what's missing.
                          Whole faces are the usual. Why not carve the unusual? The face in #21 is complete as far as I can tell.
                          After you have carved a lot of sycamore and got some sense of the wood, find some birch.
                          Yes I realised that my phone would recognise some of my stylised carvings as faces, even stylised ones. So as you say the brain will fill in the rest too.
                          I was amazed at the difference in carving basswood and wet sycamore , the wet sycamore was like soap compared to the basswood.

My MacMillan Counsellor said one of the ways to achieve mindfulness and thereby reduce stress was the pursuit of excellence , seems counter intuitive , but the relaxed accepting pursuit of excellence is OK , the detail one can achieve in wet sycamore is a definite aid to that .

Comment

Lots of different woods go from cheese to bone when they dry. Alder and willow, to name two. I guess we add sycamore to that list?
                            Birch is not so bad with really sharp tool edges. The conifers stay soft but their tendency to pop off splits will drive you nuts = no details.
                            Do we see a variety of our other carvings in the background to #24?
                            Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
                              Lots of different woods go from cheese to bone when they dry. Alder and willow, to name two. I guess we add sycamore to that list?
                              Birch is not so bad with really sharp tool edges. The conifers stay soft but their tendency to pop off splits will drive you nuts = no details.
                              Do we see a variety of our other carvings in the background to #24?
                              Yes those are done in Basswood , The Mushrooms can be very quick and satisfying , I have seen quite a few on ETSY aswell

Comment

Working...
                              X