Hello from Alaska!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Alaska!

Hey everyone! I'm new here and just wanted to say hello. I'm surprised I haven't found this forum sooner, but I really look forward to sharing and learning from all of you. I grew up in June Lake California and moved to Girdwood Alaska in 2011. I'm a full time ski patroller at Alyeska Resort, and I'm a part time artist when I'm not working on the mountain. I have an etsy shop, and I've been selling on there since 2014.
    Both of my parents are artists, and my dad, Gary "Wiz" Burns, is my biggest inspiration for my woodcarvings. He has a gallery in Port Orford Oregon called The Tree Wizard Gallery. My mom is a potter and has a nice little shop in June Lake California called The Moon Shadow Gallery.
    I started carving wood sometime in 2010 and my passion has only grown from there. I started with power tools, but have been using primarily hand tools in the past couple years. I have an appreciation for all types of techniques and love to learn new ways of doing things.
    I look forward to meeting all of you!
    Last edited by AK Wood Wiz; 04-18-2020, 02:57 PM.

Welcome, photos are always appreciated.
    53F3E87D-FE5A-4E27-8C36-8F0F2B7FA523.jpeg
    Ed
    Living in a pile of chips.
    https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

Welcome aboard, All my CW Bark comes from a friend, Bruce Pace in anchorage
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Welcome. The "Upload Attachments" button should work to pull images out of your computer files.

I looked up Girdwood, AK..Big place with wonderful scenery.
        What sort of wood carvings do you like to do?
        Brian T

Comment

Hello and welcome to the forum. Look forward to seeing your work.

Comment

Thanks. Very well done. I presume local CW bark sources?

If you dig around in the WCI Forum archives, you will see(?) that a lot of old threads have text but the images are missing.
            There was a monster hack. In the repair which followed, all the images were erased.
            Some got put up again, repeated, many did not.
            Brian T

Comment

Welcome to this forum. You will find all types of woodcarving among the separate forums here. I'm familiar with your locale, having spent a month kayaking in Resurrection Bay (Seward) and Prince William Sound (Whittier)

Picture 038.jpg

Last edited by pallin; 04-18-2020, 06:39 PM.

Comment

What you think Joe, right in his back yard----Good job AK
                . . .JoeB

Comment

Welcome and enjoy the forum. It is a great resource for all carvers. Gee, I was in Anchorage for a few years in 68 and then transferred to the University in Fairbanks. It sure is a different place today and has grown a lot. A beautiful place all across the state. Also, remember Alyeska very well and numerous other places.

Carve away and enjoy a very helpful group of carvers. Your work is nice and there is a nice power carving subforum here. Enjoy!
                  Last edited by woodburner807; 04-18-2020, 10:37 PM.
                  Bill
                  Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brian T View Post
                    Thanks. Very well done. I presume local CW bark sources?

If you dig around in the WCI Forum archives, you will see(?) that a lot of old threads have text but the images are missing.
                    There was a monster hack. In the repair which followed, all the images were erased.
                    Some got put up again, repeated, many did not.
                    Yeah, I get all of my cottonwood bark right here in Girdwood along glacier creek, less than a 5 minute drive from my house. There are quite a few good trees, but I haven't been lucky enough to find bark much thicker than 2". Most of it is between 1 1/2" to 2" thick. I know there are some special trees out there though.. Right now is the best time to look as the snow melts and the vegitation doesn't completely take over.. Once it turns green up here, hiking off trail more than 5 feet is quite a task!

Comment

Originally posted by pallin View Post
                      Welcome to this forum. You will find all types of woodcarving among the separate forums here. I'm familiar with your locale, having spent a month kayaking in Resurrection Bay (Seward) and Prince William Sound (Whittier)

Picture 038.jpg

I love Seward and Whittier. All the coastal towns are great! We just got back from the Portage Lake area which is just a 15 minute drive from the house. It's been beautiful out and after being cooped up all winter it's hard to stay inside too much.. Seems like lots of Alaskans felt the same way as there were tons of people out.. Fortunately the virus hasn't hit Alaska hard as of yet.. Our tourism economy is taking a major hit with both major cruise lines canceling all Alaska trips. Denali National Part will also remain closed as the only way to get into the park is by the bus system. Oh well!

Comment

Here's a few more recent wood spirits in the cottonwood bark and some pine knots I carved back in 2011
                        Attached Files

Comment

I wanted to also share this photo of my very first wood spirit carving back in June Lake, CA. The date on the picture is November 16th 2008. It's always fun to look back at old carvings to see the progression
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for sharing some of your carvings, including your first from your time at June Lake, CA. (2008).
                            Here is my first relief carving, also from Calif., but it goes all the way back to 1949:

doxy.jpg

Comment

Working...
                            X