Fresh chips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresh chips

Greetings, my name is Jim and I am a wood carver. I was an active member back around the turn of the century, then life got complicated and carving things kind of petered out in 2009. My current occupation is unknown. I have been accused of being retired; but feel much too young for that title. I prefer to say that I just quit! Regardless, I am unemployed and intend to stay that way at least for a little while.
    In the meantime I think I got my head, my heart and my hands all in one place and that is to carve......in between naps. OK; at least a little every day. I could also be a philosopher.
    I actually recognize many of the names still on the forum, and see other names out and about. I hope to reacquaint with some and meet some new folks . Ill share some current work as soon as I figure out a few things.
    Good to be back,
    Canopener

Welcome back. Sometimes, things move like the tide = we are not in charge.
    Brian T

Comment

Hey, hello, glad your back, looking forward to so of your works
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Welcome back. If you'd like to review your past postings, do an Advanced Search on your username (Canopener, entered under Members), and check the box for "Started posts only." Unfortunately they are far enough back that all photos are lost.

Comment

Welcome back Canopener. I look forward to seeing your carvings and learning from another nap taking carver. I am to old to not be retired but to young not to carve.

Comment

Jim,

I retired at 50 got in the habit when people ask so where do you work I’d just say “I don’t“. Welcome back to carving. With this covid corn teen going on I’ve been carving a lot more than I normally would this time of year. Just started a new bust. Our carving club is closed due to covid so no access to a band saw doing it the old fashioned way. Big gouges and strong arm.

F184A26E-4283-47B1-902B-367D8B47CCD6.jpeg
            Ed
            Living in a pile of chips.
            https://m.facebook.com/pg/CentralNeb...ernal&mt_nav=0

Comment

I am old enough to know not to trust my memory. No, I take that back. Old enough to know not to trust my recall. Everything is still stashed away in there but sometimes it is hard to find things. Add to that, half of what I do recall never really happened. So I confess I don't recall your user name. BUT, when I said your username out loud, the cats came running, so that's proof enough for me. Welcome back! From me AND the cats.
              HonketyHank toot toot

Comment

Here are a couple recent carvings and a knife that I made from my grandfathers old pen knife. I just had to figure out how to load pics.
                Jim

Comment

"my grandfathers old pen knife"... I bet not many young folks know the origin of the term "pen knife." Anybody want to answer (no fair Googling!) ?
                  Arthur

Comment

Hi Cano , Great little Carvings . A lot of Good Detailing . Looking forward in seeing your Work . Merle

Comment

Welcome back Jim, Always nice to have some new carvings to look at. Nice job on the knife too.
                      If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Doesn't look like you've missed a step, Jim. Oh, Arthur seams my grandfather told me something about Englishman keeping their quills sharp?????????
                        . . .JoeB

Comment

Welcome back to the forums!

Claude
                          My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Always nice to see an old member return to the fold. Welcome back aboard, and hope to see plenty of work from your retirement carving efforts.

Bob
                            Before they slip me over the standing part of the fore sheet, let them pipe: "Up Spirits" one more time.

Comment

Thanks all for the warm welcome and welcome to all the newcomers to woodcarving in what ever way you wish to express yourself.
                              One thing that I have always noted about wood carvers is their support of others. Sure; we have competitions. But the fundamental craft is handed down, one carver to another
                              Now....to the shop!

Comment

Working...
                              X