X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eric B
    replied
    Originally posted by Claude View Post
    Welcome to the forums, Eric! If you have any questions, just ask!

Claude
    Hi Claude nice to meet you and thank you for the welcome!

Oh i will have questions the question is when, i will keep that in mind thanks.

Eric

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    Welcome to the forums, Eric! If you have any questions, just ask!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Eric B
    replied
    Originally posted by Brian T View Post
    Eric: some years back it became necessary to switch software formats due to a major hack.
    In the process of moving, one switch was not toggled and all previous pictures were erased forever.
    Very hard on a site which claims to be "illustrated," Yes?

Many members quit. A few hung on. Some drifted back. Was a tough nut to chew on.
    I for one do not want to try to find and illustrate all my old threads as I can't remember exactly which pictures were relevant.
    So we are stuck(?) with whatever post-hack illustrations are posted.
    That is a sad thing for sure, i mean i still have more exploring to do there seems plenty of new threads but i was just hoping to start from the oldest onto the newest.

It is what it is good thing there is a lot of wood and we can carve so lots of new carvings to be made and new post.

Yes it is hard on a site like this but its not what would make me leave im moving forward on the journey sometimes i need help and other times i can help that is why im here.

Almost ready to put roof on outdoor workstation very exited! 16x16 seems small im already thinking 32x32 haha.

Leave a comment:

• Eric B
    replied
    Originally posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Nice carving, Eric. Welcome to the forum.
    Hello fiddlesticks thanks for the kind words i put a lot of effort into this one.

Now im learning to speed carve time is getting more important as i get older almost 40.

See you around

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Eric: some years back it became necessary to switch software formats due to a major hack.
    In the process of moving, one switch was not toggled and all previous pictures were erased forever.
    Very hard on a site which claims to be "illustrated," Yes?

Many members quit. A few hung on. Some drifted back. Was a tough nut to chew on.
    I for one do not want to try to find and illustrate all my old threads as I can't remember exactly which pictures were relevant.
    So we are stuck(?) with whatever post-hack illustrations are posted.

Leave a comment:

• fiddlesticks
    replied
    Nice carving, Eric. Welcome to the forum.

Leave a comment:

• Eric B
    replied
    Originally posted by JJF View Post
    Welcome to the forum
    Thank you JJF so far so good im wondering why i never came before.

Dunno if its just me but looking at older post a lot of the pics seem gone is this normal?

Leave a comment:

• Eric B
    replied
    McBride is in the Fraser River valley, in what is called the ICH = Interior Cedar Hemlock zone.
    Practically all of the local western red cedar trees are naturally rotten in the core. So we get magnificent clear and curved 6" thick wood for masks, etc. BC Coastal WRC is mostly solid to the core.
    A couple of local cedar mills are maybe 20 minutes from my house so I buy direct, posts and shake blocks, to stockpile for carving. (A dozen 24" shake blocks = $60.00, same for 5x5x64 posts).

I need to go to the city to buy YC, the store stocks pieces 12" x 24" x 72" and even bigger.
    I think it was about $12.00/bdft so it isn't cheap by any means. Probably comes from the coast and they know how to dry it in their own wood loft.

I grow and sell grapes and new grape vines for summer beer money.
    Im loving this education on wood from your area and others thank you. Your local cedar prices seems good you got me wanting to check around now.

Grapes are awesome i just tend to leave em for the birds we have a couple untrained messes of vines lol.

Leave a comment:

• JJF
    replied
    Welcome to the forum

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    McBride is in the Fraser River valley, in what is called the ICH = Interior Cedar Hemlock zone.
    Practically all of the local western red cedar trees are naturally rotten in the core. So we get magnificent clear and curved 6" thick wood for masks, etc. BC Coastal WRC is mostly solid to the core.
    A couple of local cedar mills are maybe 20 minutes from my house so I buy direct, posts and shake blocks, to stockpile for carving. (A dozen 24" shake blocks = $60.00, same for 5x5x64 posts).

I need to go to the city to buy YC, the store stocks pieces 12" x 24" x 72" and even bigger.
    I think it was about $12.00/bdft so it isn't cheap by any means. Probably comes from the coast and they know how to dry it in their own wood loft.

I grow and sell grapes and new grape vines for summer beer money.

Leave a comment:

• Eric B
    replied
    I've carved a couple of things in yellow cedar, I think it stinks. WRC smell doesn't last 24 hrs until you cut into it again. Some of it is actually pink inside for 24 hrs then it oxidizes to various shades of brown. I buy posts and 24" shake blocks to cut and split out what I need.
    From my kitchen window in August. Harvest mid October.
    McBgrapeC.jpg
    Oh its nice to see vibrant green in middle of winter that's just lovely!

Thanks for the heads up on the cedar they are less of a mystery now haha.

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    I've carved a couple of things in yellow cedar, I think it stinks. WRC smell doesn't last 24 hrs until you cut into it again. Some of it is actually pink inside for 24 hrs then it oxidizes to various shades of brown. I buy posts and 24" shake blocks to cut and split out what I need.
    From my kitchen window in August. Harvest mid October.
    McBgrapeC.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Eric B
    replied
    Thanks for the wood info. I'm in the west slope of the Rockies, about 2 hrs west of Jasper.
    I used western red cedar, some yellow cedar and birch. Bits of other soft woods.
    Oh nice it must be rugged beauty over there!

I always wanted to carve yellow cedar for the aromatic properties and the oil in the wood.

I seen pics of red cedar so nice the heartwood compared to ours here.

Sun is shinning what a time to be alive.

Have a good one

Eric

Leave a comment:

• Eric B
    replied
    Originally posted by joepaulbutler View Post
    Just call me JoeB
    Sure thing JoeB have a great day

Leave a comment:

• Brian T
    replied
    Thanks for the wood info. I'm in the west slope of the Rockies, about 2 hrs west of Jasper.
    I used western red cedar, some yellow cedar and birch. Bits of other soft woods.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X