Black-capped Chickadee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black-capped Chickadee

Got this little comfort bird carved out of butternut, and there was a split in the top of the head, so I sanded of the top of his head, and glued on some ebony. I guess it worked.

Feels so good, Tom
    Attached Files
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

That is pretty cool Tom.
    Terry

Comment

Thanks Terry, I probably could have used some butternut, but thought I would try this first.

Tom
      If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ellis View Post
        Thanks Terry, I probably could have used some butternut, but thought I would try this first.

Tom
        The ebony makes it pretty special. Great choice.
        Terry

Comment

That was a great save Tom! It give the bird a tough rub spot .
          . . .JoeB
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Yeah Joe, My thumb will polish it right up. Thanks, Tom

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Hi Tom, Great save, that definitely wil be rubbed. Merle

Comment

Thanks Merle, that ebony polishes up like glass. Glad you took a look.

Tom

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Hi Tom, the first one I made gave it to my Wife and it is so smooth and ploished that it's hard to hold, she must need a lot of Comfort . Ha,Ha. Merle

Comment

Merle, It is very hard not to be polishing while you are holding one. Guess she liked it. Now give her a hug,

Tom

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Tom that is a superb idea. I can't keep up with the demand for my comfort birds. When I explained comfort birds to a Medevac Nurse she told me, "It's not just the patients that need comfort. Some of the people we treat and some of the places we land ─ I need all the comfort I can get! Would you let me have one?"

I did ─ and expanded my need to carve more of them. A couple of my Physicians were also given a comfort bird. Our primary care doc was seeing Diana and told her, "I have a request for Paul. There was someone who needed the comfort bird far more than I did. I gave it to her and it is always in her hands. Ask him if he would give me another."

She took him two and a note from me. I wrote, "The object of the Comfort Birds is to offer comfort. Sure I enjoy the pleasure of giving them; but, you see far more folks in need than I do. Here are the only two I have left. One is for you and one to give away. Let me know when it is gone and I will give you a couple from my next 'hatching'".

A Physician's Assistant told Diana, "My comfort bird is really smooth now. I keep it with me all the time ─ except when I have to rescue it from my children. They enjoy it as much as I do." I guess I better give her one for her children.

Carving them does get a little boring. I had not considered inserts. Your idea creates renewed interest on my part and means that I can use a lot more of the scrap pieces I have around.
                      Last edited by Paul_Guraedy; 08-18-2016, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Wow Paul, I sounds like you carve a lot of them. I guess they are sort of like the Greek worry beads, as they sure feel good in the hand. I hope you come up with some new interesting creations.

Carve safe, Tom

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Isn't it great what a simple thing can do for others Thumbs Up
                          . . . JoeB
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

How cute, looks like a little monk!

Comment

Just a thought you could turn that into a ball cap with an added carved chip

Comment

Working...
                              X