Ukpic at Yukon Sunrise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ukpic at Yukon Sunrise

It is wonderful that the members of this forum are helpful in ways other than woodcarving. It is a sad when the members offer more help than does the Information Technologists!

I have finally finished the Snowy Owl (ukpik or oopik in Inupiat - "Eskimo") I have been carving. The full story of this piece can be found in the Animal and Bird carving forum and my post Snowy Owl and Yukon Sunrise. For those members who are not into bird carving, I am offering a synopsis here.

In December 2015, I was contacted about a commission to carve a simple snowy owl. Dena had seen a snowy I did ten years or so ago and wanted one like it. I told her that I no longer did "simple" and did not like to carve a piece like I had already done. I offered some ideas for a snowy, perched upright, on "something", probably snow covered, that would be about 10" high overall. She said that she would leave the design totally up to me. We agreed on a price and in January 2016 I started purchasing the supplies needed. I actually started carving on the piece in March and had to contact Dena. The ten inch piece was now about 14x14x12 inches. I told her that the changes were for my benefit and I would deliver the carving for the agreed upon price.

The carving scene came to mind as I remembered seeing the owls on the banks of the frozen Yukon River. A Snowy Owl (white pine), perched on a log (oak) protruding from a snow covered bank (basswood), facing the frozen Yukon River, at sunrise. The 12"Hx12"Lx9"H carving is painted with watercolor with the "ice" and bird's beak coated with about 6 coats of Minwax, Polyacrylic Finish. Did not like the effect of the Polyacrylic - it did make the surface resemble ice, but did not give the gloss that I desired. I decided to try high gloss tung oil. I tried it first on a piece of scrap and seemed to offer a little more gloss. I cautiously put a light coat on the "ice". Nothing untoward. I now have 3 coats on the carving and am planning at least two more. The ice is "reflecting" along the lines of what I wanted. The only problem is that, to make sure the tung oil is dry, I wait 24 hours before going over the "ice" with 5x steel wool and adding the next coat - 5 of them total.

It has been a long journey having sanded the finished feathers off 3 times, the barbules of the feathers had been burned, sanded off, burned and I was prepared to start painting. I was thankful for painting with watercolor - the paint has been removed over the entire owl twice and over the shadows and sunshine multiple times. I must state that this is the first carving that I really wish I could keep. I am going to be sad the day it leaves my collection.

Obviously, my skill levels drop rapidly from woodcarver, to painter, to photographer. The owl looks much better viewed in situ than it does in a photo. First the colors are both underplayed and exaggerated. I tried inside then took the carving outside, then decided mea culpa (I am guilty of whatever these representations lack and will just post them anyhow.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul_Guraedy; 12-05-2016, 12:56 PM.

Hooray! Made it with the help of everyone responding. Thank You so much!

Comment

Paul, you're snowy is wonderful! Now, make another for yourself! <smile>

Comment

Sappy, I did think about that. However, I keep at least 5 projects underway all the time. I concentrate most on the one I hope to finish first. When I get tired, bored or flustered with this one I turn to the next two and work on them awhile. The other two or three I will take with me now and then to work on in public using hand tools. So, the Snowy would have to take its place in line and by then my attention will be on some other piece. But, I am saddened that I will never see the Ukpic again after I mail her off.

Comment

Paul, this is one beautiful carving of a snowy owl.......Congratulations!

Comment

Well worth the time and effort. Now to start one for you to keep.
            Charlie Wolfe [email protected]
            http://charleswolfe.weebly.com/

Comment

Great. No feet = that's how they sit.

Get your camera set up in a fixed position and take a picture of the bird.
              Now, rotate the bird about 6-8 degrees, no more.
              Take a second picture.
              With the right app & viewer, you now have a stereo pair, to see your bird in 3D.
              Brian T

Comment

Sorry. Not specific enough.
                Pic #1 with be the left-hand view.
                Looking down on the bird from above, rotate clockwise 6-8 degrees.
                This Pic #2 will be the right-hand image.

Brian T

Comment

Something to be proud of Paul. Your efforts to capture the sunlight and shadows are to be commended. Wonderful piece of art.

Tinwood

Comment

I'm glad the members were able to get your marvelous carving to pop for us. I think about what you say all the time ~ "desire & patience" This certainly proves that saying.
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

This is breathtakingly beautiful. Well done Paul.
                      Is it hard to let go of a project you've put so much time and effort into? Do you ever feel like keeping a custom ?
                      Last edited by Spiritwolfe; 12-04-2016, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Beautiful work Paul! I'm glad you were able to get it posted.
                        Terry

Comment

Beautiful work, Paul!

Claude
                          My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                          My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                          My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                          My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

It's beautiful ! Looks so lifelike.

Comment

Great carving Paul love the detail and the painting is superb.
                              Gordo
                              "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"&&-old Nordic proverb

Comment

Working...
                              X