Scissortail flycatchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scissortail flycatchers

IMG_1665.JPG I started a couple of pairs of scissortail flycatchers about this time last year. Things just kept getting in the way of finishing them and getting them mounted. My bird-carving friend, Charles Wolfe down in Arkansas, helped me when I got stuck, especially with the mount. I finally finished this pair and got them mounted this week. The other pair is carved and painted, the mount carved and painted, but I want a blooming vine to climb the post on it, so it will have to wait. I'm still learning birds.
    From Missouri

Donna, those are beautiful!

Comment

• Donna_T
      Donna_T commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!

Just amazing work Donna
    . . .JoeB

Comment

• Donna_T
      Donna_T commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks much. Now I need to finish the other pair....

Love them Donna. As I said at the Rogers show, my next effort will involve brass for vegetation. Have you been consulting with Charles in this area. I need help!

Comment

• Donna_T
      Donna_T commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Paul. I've used brass for habitat, but am not good at soldering. Charles is much better at it. Sounds like a good excuse for a work day!

Donna, those are super! Well done!
    Arthur

Comment

Still learning birds!!!!!? I think you have most of it figured out already Donna. Those are gorgeous. I really like the mount you've chosen, very nice all around.

Tinwood

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Every time I make a bird, there's things I learn and would do differently. Guess that's progress?

Hi Donna, WOW!!! They look so Delicate and Detailed Very Well. Painting looks great also. You can tell you like to do Birds. Just Beautiful. Merle

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Merle. I do like carving and detailing birds--especially when they turn out better than I think they will.

SHUT the FRONT DOOR!!!!
      Still learning birds??? No way!
      WOW Donna
      These are stunning!
      Where you been hiding gurl?
      Really, really good.
      Last edited by Spiritwolfe; 12-07-2016, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Nikki. "When I grow up, I want to be a bird carver." (And animal and santa carver...) I keep trying to improve technique.

Donna, these are wonderful! The one with spread wings, are the wings one piece with body? And the tails, so delicate! Hard to master in wood. Nice work!

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. They are one piece. I was afraid I'd break the tails every time I picked one up to work on it. That may be part of why it took me a year to finish. Carving was easier--painting was the toughest part!

They are just beautiful, nice composition too.

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks much!

That is some spectacular work, Donna! The carving and painting on the birds are excellent and I love the way you put the habitat/scenery together!
      Keep On Carvin'
      Bob K.

My Etsy page: https://www.etsy.com/shop/rwkwoodcarving

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/robert.kozakiewicz.9

My RWK Woodcarving Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/rwkwood

My Pinterest page: https://www.pinterest.com/rwkoz51/

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Bob. Each part has its challenges. And I'm prone to analysis paralysis !

Looks like you have learned birds very well. They are fantastic.
      Joe

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the kind words, Joe.

Really Awesome work! ... I wonder what they are watching.
      Greg

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        I originally planned to carve a tiny insect for the mount. I chickened out! But I love seeing them sit on a fence wire and watch and watch whatever.

Absolutely gorgeous!!
      Terry

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks a bunch!

Donna, such a great job. Now on to doing some really detailed habitat too. Your work is really detailed and a fine sculpture. Be sure and post pictures of the ones with trumpet vines.
      I cut out 6 bluebirds for the class. Have them shaped and ready for feather layout. Trying to stay on schedule.
      Charles
      Charlie Wolfe [email protected]
      http://charleswolfe.weebly.com/

Comment

• Donna_T
        Donna_T commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Charles. I spent the day cleaning the shop and organizing my wood stash, so I'm ready to finish something else! Do you have a date set to get together to start bluebirds and did you get some others to commit?
    Working...
    X