Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Donna_T
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Dwight. The carving is getting easier but the painting is still a struggle.

• Donna_T
    commented on 's reply
    When I do a bird that starts with a bandsawed cutout,I do the initial roughout with a Foredom to remove the bulk. Then I switch to a Ram micro motor using typhoon burrs, then steel and diamond bits, then soft sanders. Once I get the feather and contour lines established, I mostly use diamond bits with the Ram. Then detail with white or blue stones and a woodburner.

When I first started doing birds, I only had a Dremel with a flexshaft. It worked for quite awhile.

There was an article on flycatchers in Wildfowl Carving. It is a great quarterly publication with patterns and instruction, plus references. Plus, I carve periodically with a fellow bird carver about 3 hours away and we trade ideas--mostly I learn from him!

• Spiritwolfe
    replied
    And you've gotten the most 'likes' I've ever seen .
    Just sayin.'
    You have inspired me to work on the birds I have here so thank you

Leave a comment:

• Dwight
    replied
    Excellent work Donna... your abilities are amazing. Great carving and paint.

Leave a comment:

• Spiritwolfe
    replied
    Hey Donna. Sorry for the unnecessary posts. I'll ask one of the mods if they can remove it.
    Meanwhile, may I ask what instruction you used and what type of power carver are you using?
    Dremel, foredom , engraver etc?
    Looking forward to the other ones you are doing.
    Thanks

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Nikki, Try Logging again. I have to do that every now and then. Merle

Leave a comment:

• Spiritwolfe
    replied
    I'm so sorry for all these posts Donna. When I'd post they weren't go through like normal and show my post. I got a blank page with some numbers up top. I also no longer get the topic sections nor can I start a thread to whine and complain about this ( lol ) so if anyone reading this can let someone know that I'm on the site but I'm stuck and malfunctioning. Not really sure how else to explain this. It's weird.

Leave a comment:

• Spiritwolfe
    replied
    Sure I'd love to carve with you Donna but it might be a bit far for me to peddle to.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    You Bet , Donna. Merle

Leave a comment:

• Donna_T
    commented on 's reply
    For every great experience in carving, dare I say we've had something else turn out not too good. But we keep trying and learn in the process, don't we, Merle?
    Last edited by Donna_T; 12-11-2016, 07:07 AM.

• Donna_T
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Steve.

• Donna_T
    commented on 's reply
    It's great when you can get together with other carvers and learn from each other. Come carve with us!

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Yea Donna, That is a Good Feeling when your piece turns out Better than you Expected. That's another reason that this Hobby is Great. Merle

Leave a comment:

• Steve Reed
    replied
    Beautifully done Donna!

Leave a comment:

• Spiritwolfe
    replied
    Oh how fabulous that would be . A bird carving class. Sweet! I''m a tad jealous
    yes! Be sure to post more pictures.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X