Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not your average bird carving

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Splash of color # 2. Getting closer all the time.... One more coat of acrylic, 2 coats of clear, and a thorough wet sanding and the beastie will be ready for assembly.
    Last edited by Steve Bob; 11-13-2017, 11:31 AM.

    Comment


    • #17
      Looking good SB!

      Tinwood

      Comment


      • #18
        Thanks Tinwood

        Here is the new next to the old.... I'm thinking improvement....maybe? LOL!!! But then again that MDF lasted for 15+ years in our environment with just some rattle can paint job. Considering for all of that the old one still looks pretty good. Maybe I'll cowboy art the remains with square nails, barbed wire, and a vintage license plate then hide it somewhere that it can be found.
        Last edited by Steve Bob; 11-13-2017, 01:33 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Nice looking bird! I am still trying to figure out how it attaches to the mail box, but I know you have that all figured out.

          Comment


          • #20
            This time I figured I'd make it simple..... My head don't work so gud at times. Sooooo with that said..... I sorta went with a Down Home, 50's hot rod, 60's Surfer sorta theme.... It's just missing the paisley Telecaster in there somewhere.....

            Uhh ummm I like it....

            Now for 2 more coats of clear followed by a good wet sanding and a Simonize job. Oh yeah eyes or sunglasses LOL!!!

            As it sits it's sort of a Jimmy Buffet nightmare..... LOL!!!

            Sappy, Just hold on just a sec there pardner.... You jumped ahead in story books as a kid too I bet LOL!!!!! Just kidding.... I'll add pix of it being assembled when I get to that part of the story. And besides.... I have not figured out quite how I'll do it but am considering Germanic shingle assembly on the wings... But not sure yet.
            Last edited by Steve Bob; 11-15-2017, 02:52 AM.

            Comment


            • #21
              One coat of clear left and things start moving quickly.......

              Comment


              • #22
                The Spilled milk effect on the wings and legs is coming along nicely, the head has many reddish hues akin to a Washington apple, the neck & shoulders have a cool pearlescent glow when light hits them just right, and what can I say about the tail except for a calliope of color? The whole thing looks to me like it's made out of ceramic rather than wood and should be sitting outside an up scale San Antonio open air market or restaurant as a decorator art piece. But then again I'm proud of my work.... Either that or I'm just in one of my moods where everything seems to look good...... To me......LOL!!!

                Ok who thinks a couple of coats of tung oil or amber / honey shellac would give it that aged look and would be desireable? Or any other finishing ideas for a displayed outside project would be appreciated prior to final wet sand.....
                Last edited by Steve Bob; 11-17-2017, 02:56 AM.

                Comment


                • #23
                  The shellac would probably be more durable then the tung oil. But there is another option I have found. I went to an automotive store and bought a can of spray ceramic that is for car engines. It is clear. I have coated several things in the yard with it. In four years, it all looks just coated.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    sappy,

                    That sounds like a good alternative and one I did not think of. Do you know what sort of solvent the ceramic paint uses? I'd hate to ruin my paint job because I used an incompatible outer coat.

                    Thanks

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Steve, this is what I used https://duplicolor.com/product/engin...l-with-ceramic and it is clean up with lacquer thinner. I use it over water based paints and have had no problems. But I have never tried it over polyethylene.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I'll try it on a separate piece of scrap wood painted with both of the paint types I used on the bird and see. Thank you again for the alternative option. It also sounds like something I could use with my vintage license plate electric guitar project that I'll be starting as soon as I clear my shop of chicken pieces....LOL!!!.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          I was going to go for something a bit more dramatic but screw/bolts was a much easier way to close the chapter. I drill a hole, fill it with epoxy, then screw the screw/bolt in and wait one hour. Then push the bolt end through a pre drilled (by me) hole in the mail box, then wind down washers with wing nuts, then Loctite the threads behind the wingnut. Strong-waterproof-easy..... What could be better? The last pic is the first time the new parts were exposed to the new mail box.... I like it..... Final assembly tomorrow.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I like it too! That is neat! Now everyone will want one....!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Great work SB (pretty good thinking too).

                              Tinwood

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                That is nice work for sure and should be good luck according to my sister

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X