Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gleber
    replied
    Thanks for the warm welcome wishes and compliments on my goldfinch.

Is there a place here to request critiques? I't nice to get all the oohs and aahs, but I hope to learn more from you all too. I see a lot of specific questions about techniques (pre- or mid-carviing), but I'm thinking more along the lines of soliciting your opinions on what would make a finished carving better (for the next one).

With that in mind, if anyone has suggestions on this goldfinch, I would welcome them.

Tom

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    A very well done carving. I love woodcarving or would not spend so much time and effort doing it. However, my goal is to create a carving that, I hope, is somewhat artistic and is at least interesting. I use mixed media if it is not the main subject and if it enhances the finished piece. Recently, I have started using copper wire, brass tubes, and brass shimstock to make limbs and leaves that I might have carved from wood, but would definitely take more time than I think is warranted.

Leave a comment:

• squbrigg
    replied
    Welcome aboard and thank you for sharing that beautiful Goldfinch with us. I love your feather work on it, very well done.

Bob

Leave a comment:

• brent
    replied
    No worries, some carve it all and some do mixed media. Nice bird!

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    Welcome to the forums!

Excellent carving!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Tinwood
    replied
    Great to have you join in with us Tom. Very good job on your little goldfinch and a perfect scenario to display him on. I wouldn't worry too much about the barbed wire and post, we've got folks here that sometimes use whatever is at hand to add a little pizazz to their displays. Some even prefer to make their own barbed wire and if you are interested, I believe we've even got some tutorials some members have produced to explain how to do that. Anyway, nice work and again, welcome.

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

• JJF
    replied
    welcome to the forums

Leave a comment:

• Gleber
    replied
    Thanks for all the nice complements.

Originally posted by bowinhand View Post
    ... Welcome to the forum and I would like to see some of your cuckoos.
    Hi Bowinhand (are you a bow hunter?),

I just posted a few of my recent cuckoos in the WIP section:
    https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...-cuckoo-clocks

I also posted a step by step tutorial on a recent repair to replace a missing head:
    https://forum.woodcarvingillustrated...epair-tutorial

Tom

Leave a comment:

• frankj
    replied
    Excellent piece Tom, real eye candy.

Leave a comment:

• DiLeon
    replied
    I agree it does look real which is hard to do.....awesome job.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Tom, Welcome , That is a Great Carving , looks Real , hard to believe that it isn't. Merle

Leave a comment:

• bowinhand
    replied
    Hey Tom great gold finch really liked the post and barb wire detail. Welcome to the forum and I would like to see some of your cuckoos.

Leave a comment:

• Bob K.
    replied
    First of all, welcome to the forums! We're glad you joined us and look forward to seeing more of your work. I'm not a bird carver but it looks like you did a terrific job on your Goldfinch. The carving appears clean and the painting is neat.

Leave a comment:

• Gleber
    started a topic Goldfinch

Goldfinch

This is my first post, although I have been carving on and off for years. My latest hobby is clocks and someone on the NAWCC forum saw some of my work with cuckoo birds and suggested I check out this forum. It looks like a great place and t's a pleasure to meet you all. I hope to gain a lot and share my experiences with you.

I thought I would start with a few pictures of a Goldfinch I carved quite a while ago. The post and barbed wire are not carved (I hope I don't start any controversies over that, but I wanted to provide full disclosure).

I'm looking forward to getting to know some of you, and if anyone else is fond of cuckoos, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for welcoming me here.

Tom
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 3 photos.
Working...
X