Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions

I'm wondering if anyone could suggest an entry level book for general bird carving. Something that might contain a half dozen or so basic patterns of various birds.? I'm not interested in getting into feather counting and all the finer aspects of bird carving, just something to give me a break from my current carving field ( caricatures)
    thanks
    Wayne
    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Interesting switch, Wayne. I can't help, but am interested in seeing what others suggest.
    Buffalo Bif
    www.bflobif.com

Comment

I started with Lori Corbitt's "Carving Award Winning Songbirds"..it has three bird projects and is very extensive in instruction. I have carved birds for 4 years now and don't know of an "entry level book", they all are fairly detailed. Roslyn Daisy has two books on songbirds and one on game birds that are also excellent. They are hardcover...a tip is to buy them used and save over 50% (Amazon) You can get specific patterns for a few dollars from Gordon Stiller Patterns. Wildfowl Carving Magazine is an excellent source of instruction and projects. You may find the books at a good library as they are the standards for the field.. There are several other books out there, these are the most through. Good luck with the birds.
      Last edited by SlowMover; 05-07-2018, 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Soggy, I have been carving birds for many years. My suggestion is, as you have essentially stated, "Start Slow"! I carved a decoy in 1980 that I think is an excellent start for easing into bird carving. Mostly paint and very little detail. Outline the feathers without going into great detail

There are several suppliers of bird roughouts. I suggest purchasing one of these for a start. Then add as little or as much detail as you want.

Attached is my first carving, a half decoy, and my second which I think would make a good example of minimizing detail.
        Half duck decoy.jpg002 #1.jpg

Comment

Thanks Kent and Paul, some good advice and information to start with. I've carved a couple of "shore birds" in the past and they were "ok" ,.. details just painted on as suggested by Paul and that's where I'm thinking of staying. I live in an area where there are a lot of decoy carvers and some of them are internationally known, and their work is beautiful (almost life like) but I don't have the desire or patience to go to that level.
          Wayne

Comment

I suggest a cheaper easier way. Go to google punch in wood carving birds youtube. Lots of free videos on Youtube and advice.

Comment

Wayne, I agree with Kent, If you like songbirds, Roslyn Daisy's books are very detailed with the carving and painting. I haven,t checked out youtube quality on the bird carving. Just don,t plan to show them, and the bird judges really pick them apart.

Have fun, Tom
              If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ellis View Post
                Wayne, Just don,t plan to show them, the bird judges really pick them apart.

Have fun, Tom
                LOL... Tom, don't tempt me,.... I'm getting to be a cantankerous old bugger, I'd just love some uppity judge to tell me I'd done something that wasn't "allowed"...
                Wayne
                Last edited by Soggy; 05-07-2018, 03:00 PM.

Comment

At the Ward World Championships they have an ornithologist on staff, and I've seen judges reaching for micronometers when measuring beaks...

Comment

Originally posted by BobD View Post
                    At the Ward World Championships they have an ornithologist on staff, and I've seen judges reaching for micronometers when measuring beaks...
                    That difnetely would be no place for me......

Comment

Wayne: I do several small birds in what I call a "folk art" style. The shapes are as close as I can get the to the photos I find via Google, but the feathers are just representational. You can find them in my etsy shop (link below)

Claude
                      My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                      My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                      My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                      My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Originally posted by SlowMover View Post
                        I started with Lori Corbitt's "Carving Award Winning Songbirds"..it has three bird projects and is very extensive in instruction. I have carved birds for 4 years now and don't know of an "entry level book", they all are fairly detailed. Roslyn Daisy has two books on songbirds and one on game birds that are also excellent. They are hardcover...a tip is to buy them used and save over 50% (Amazon) You can get specific patterns for a few dollars from Gordon Stiller Patterns. Wildfowl Carving Magazine is an excellent source of instruction and projects. You may find the books at a good library as they are the standards for the field.. There are several other books out there, these are the most through. Good luck with the birds.
                        +1 I have these books also and would recommend Lori's.

https://www.amazon.com/Carving-Award.../dp/1565231821

....Dave
                        Old carvers never die... they just whittle away.
                        www.shellknobwoodcarvers.weebly.com

Comment

Roslyn Daisy's Bird Carving Books are an excellent choice,
                          her explanations are excellent and easy to follow.
                          Oscar

Comment

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestion. I received a pm from a member on here who offered to send me a book that he thought would be helpful. The book arrived last week and it was just what I was looking for; ..... very basic, half a dozen fairly easy patterns and easy to follow directions. This book was written by H.D. Green and published in 1977. I would say that it was before Bird carving became as popular as it is today, because some of the photos show older types of burners and he explains how to make realistic looking eyes and feet instead of buying them like most do today.
                            I have the first project roughed out and when it is complete I will first show it to the member who sent me the book, then I will post on here ........... if you all promise not to laugh ( remember I'm a caricature carver at heart)
                            Wayne

Comment

Hey Wayne, if anyone laughs tell them it's a caricature bird. Or it could be a folk art bird. I've done a few of those kinds.
                              Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X