No announcement yet.

Barn Owl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry about that. This happens to me now and then when I try to view other people's posts. Don't know why or how to correct it. Everything looks OK when I return to this post.

Maybe someone else on here knows how to correct this.

Comment

Well, what process did you use to upload the photos, Paul?
      Bill
      Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Combined extinction.jpg I only know of one way. I clicked on upload attachments, went to the woodcarving files on my computer, selected the one I wanted, when it uploaded, I clicked on medium, and there it is.

Comment

Well Paul, that is the way I do it and I see the picture of your avatar clearly in the text of your post. Maybe try again or wait until someone can help...
          Bill

Comment

My Frien's the Barn Owl is slowly reaching the assembling and painting stage. I now have a deadline as I have decided to donate the carving to the Ozark Mountain Chapter of Quail Forever (QF) which will host its 4th Annual Banquet on March 23rd at the Quality Inn Convention Center, Harrison, AR. Doors open at 5:30PM with dinner and a fundraising auction to follow. All proceeds from the event go to the Ozark Mountain chapter’s wildlife habitat and youth conservation.

It is going slowly with quite a few changes as I move along. I had intended to use dowel pins Owl legs 03.jpg to attach through the feet and into the base. Dry assembly proved these to be insufficient. I changed to wire covered with Apoxy to insert into the base holes that will be filled with 2part liquid epoxy. IMG_0901.jpg I intended to use a green snake but assembly reminded me of advice from an instructor many years ago, "Be careful that attention is not drawn from the focus of the carving to some other area." The green snake was the only bright color green snake painted.jpg so I did a lot of sanding and turned the snake into a copperhead. QU 03.jpgThere is still a lot of painting and assembly to get this piece finished QU 01.jpgand off of my work table. IMG_1206.jpg

Comment

My friens' I have finally finished the barn owl and have put it with a couple of other carvings as a birds of prey display. I chose this location as it is the correct height to display the owl properly. The painting was a gift from Diana. It was my favorite arch while Superintendent at Arches National Park. We used to visit it and watch the full moon do magical things to the red rock country.

IMG_1435.jpgBarn owls come in a variety of colors and markings ~ although the impression is of an almost white owl. I used the attached photo in painting my owl Barn owl coloration 01.jpg with watercolor and gauche. Soft gel (gloss) added a hard look to the bill and talons. It also added sheen to the snake.

To insure maximum strength, using grain direction, there are 14 pieces of wood in this carving (body, 2 legs, 2 feet, 8 toes, base). The owl body is basswood, the rest of the owl uses scraps from other projects and the base is a piece of red oak from my firewood cache. The toes are wood, Apoxy and copper wire, and the talons are Apoxy. Model paste was used to create lichen and to conceal the joints of wood. The snake is brass tubing, copper wire, Apoxy and model paste.

The carving is 12" tall, 9" wide and 7" deep.

Front.jpgRight front quarter.jpgSide.jpgRear.jpg
              Last edited by Paul_Guraedy; 06-02-2020, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Outstanding!
                Last edited by Paul_Guraedy; 06-02-2020, 10:38 AM. Reason: I left our great deal of information with original post

Comment

Excellent Paul, excellent. Very well done done and fine display.
                  Bill

Comment

That is an ambitious piece and she is looking great. My wife and I used to breed these birds so I can tell you you have nailed . The body shape is spot on. Nice work and well done. I never thought of doing a carving in several pieces so you have given me an idea to ponder upon.
                    Last edited by Glenn Jennings; 06-02-2020, 06:07 AM.

Comment

Wow, you did a very good job sir.
                      Very impressive

Comment

Lovely piece with beautiful detail.

Comment

I like your work on the contour and flight feathers. Good job with the feather burning, which I have recently learned is not easy.

james

Comment

Oh my! Just like the ones that lived in the old barn on my uncle's farm! Pretty birds.
                            Brian T

Comment

It really looks great, Paul!

Claude
                              My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Reviewed your carve of the barn owl. It was very enjoyable and informative. Very well done. Lar

Comment

Working...
                                X