Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woodburner807
    replied
    Well Paul, that is the way I do it and I see the picture of your avatar clearly in the text of your post. Maybe try again or wait until someone can help...

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    Combined extinction.jpg I only know of one way. I clicked on upload attachments, went to the woodcarving files on my computer, selected the one I wanted, when it uploaded, I clicked on medium, and there it is.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Well, what process did you use to upload the photos, Paul?

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    Sorry about that. This happens to me now and then when I try to view other people's posts. Don't know why or how to correct it. Everything looks OK when I return to this post.

Maybe someone else on here knows how to correct this.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Can't see any images, Paul?

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    Mornin' from Hoopin' Holler

I have not been on Facebook for a couple of weeks. Two reasons ~ one being the result of limit on data for my hotspot. Usually this occurs in the last week or so of each month. This time it occurred about a week earlier. Must have been doing more watching of news videos than I normally do. I do have separate data on my cell phone, but I find it impossible to type with my thumbs making any real response, from me, hopeless.

The hiatus, this month, has not been as irritating as most. I believe that the sleeping mind is insane, playful and a problem solver. More than once, I have been jarred awake in the middle of the night with an epiphany about a carving. I have posted a couple of times about the barn owl I have had underway since ~ ~ seemingly forever. Last week, in the middle of a restless night, I came to the realization that I was going absolutely backward with the base for this carving.

My original intention was to have the owl perched on a piece of burned log. I would use my mini-torch to burn the wood. Fast, easy and it looked good ~ until I perched the owl.

This is just a bird on a log. Something is missing! Why is the owl here? Oh! She just caught breakfast ~ using wire and Apoxy I made a green snake.

I formed the snake, as well as I could, to accommodate the owl's feet. All was not going well. The feet did not touch the wood at the points where they should.

Then the epiphany, Why in the world, and elsewhere, was I working to make the carving fit the base.

"Bass-ack-erds", as Momma used to tell me! So, I am forgetting the easy way out by simply burning the wood.

I am using Apoxy to form the base to the bird's feet and talons. So far ~ So good. This requires painting the wood of the base ~ which is now underway. The next step will be to finalize the snake and secure it to the base. I will then finish painting the owl before assembling the carving.

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Nice progress Paul, in spite of the roadblocks. Really looking forward to seeing it "assembled" and appreciate all the progress pictures and descriptions.

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    Claude thanks for the response. I should have been a little clearer about the pegs. The holes in the base were drilled before the position of the legs were finalized. Trying to force the owl fully into the hoes broke the pegs. I should have just rested the owls legs on the pegs and built up around the gap with Apoxy ~ which I will be doing anyway to cover the attachment. Rather than replacing the pegs ~ I decided to use wire instead. I have used this method before. I have also used "allthread" for the same thing. I am reaming the holes slightly but don't want them to be obvious in the competed carving.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    Hi, Paul. If the wood pegs weren't strong enough, another alternative is to get a couple of small bolts, cut the heads off, and epoxy them in. If the smallest bolt diameter is too large, another choice would be a cut-off drywall screw. The threads on the bolt or screw will help the glue/epoxy hold the item better...

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    Earlier today I set out carving, undoing the work I had done to use wooden pegs for attaching the various parts of the barn owl. I needed peace and calm ~ very badly. I had done a good job of gluing those pegs in the holes. Leg pegs set.jpg Found that they won't work. I had to break the pegs and re-drill the holes.

I believe using wire will work ~ hope springs eternal. It takes anywhere from 150 to over 300 hours for one of my carvings ~ a lot of time spent putting in the details ~ but a lot also undoing and redoing what I have already done!
    IMG_0899.jpgIMG_0901.jpg
    I carve for the peace it brings while I am carving and for the pleasure I receive when art is created. Listening to non-vocal music adds to the enjoyment of carving. I do have to be careful to not carve faster as the music accelerates.

I had never heard of Tibetan Singing Bowls ~ until recently, my daughter-in-law purchased one and told me I really needed to hear it. I was intrigued! How can a bowl sing? I suspected something similar to the glass harp. slinging bowl.jpg

Amazing! She tapped her bowl and not only did I hear the sound; but, my body was resonating in tune with it. I was inspired to purchase a CD of these "Singing Bowls". Listening to the CD is more like "New Wave" music ~ I do not feel the wave as I do when Sunnie taps her bowl. She refuses to sit and tap the bowl for hours as I carve. The CD does assist me in ascending into timelessness with my carving. I also practice meditation ~ or at least my version of it. I sit and watch the wind as it moves through the trees around the house ~ while freeing my mind from thought. Very relaxing.

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied

I am making progress on the barn owl ~ very slowly now! Everything has to be set in place and allowed to dry from a few to 24 hours before I can continue. I now have the talons and beak with the first coat of gloss and the pegs in place on the legs. Leg pegs set.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    Tinwood, my brother had a similar incident. He was at his son's home and saw a rifle. "I have one like that at home", he said.

"No you don't", Tommy replied.

After a couple of back and forth's of "I do" and "You don't", Richard in frustration said, "I certainly know my own guns and I have one like that at home."

Tommy gleefully came back, "If you know your own guns so well, why don't you recognize that one as yours?"

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    That owl is looking good, Paul!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Tinwood
    replied
    Know all about that 'safe place' syndrome. Put something away and "only" took five years to accidentally rediscover it! Another problem I have is that my sons come and borrow stuff. Then when I go to use it, nowhere to be found! Ask the boys and sure enough, oh, I came and borrowed that two months ago, didn't I bring it back?? And, as you said Paul, so it goes!

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied
    My Frien's, several months ago I experienced one of the major irritants encountered by those of us "of a certain age" (AKA: "Golden Age", but really "Rust Age"). When I finished working with brass tubing and foil, last year, I put my butane, mini-torch, in a safe place. IMG_0884.jpg

I have been carving a barn owl and reached the "some assembly required" stage ~before continuing with painting. My plan called for the owl to be perched on a piece of wood that had been burned in a forest fire. Carving the base was completed in January. IMG_0883.jpg All that remained was the "burning" part.

'Back to the "Rust Age" thingy. I found that my mini-torch was very safe. I could not find it! A week ago and after many searches ~ I told Diana, "I give up. Surely a new mini-torch will not cost over a hundred bucks". I went to "old reliable" (AKA: Amazon) ~ hoping that they had the torch and that it was "prime" (no shipping charges for Diana). A couple of years ago ~ I pirated her information and just order on her account.

Found it! Started cuss..... uuhhh....vocalizing.

Diana, startled away from her reading asked, "What's wrong?"

"That **** torch only costs $25!" I bellowed. "I've wasted 4 months searching."

So, my Frien's, I bought a new torch, burned the base yesterday and am now at the assembly part IMG_0879.jpg . This carving is 6 different pieces of wood

IMG_0882.jpg ~ required to insure the grain runs properly for strength.

Once assembled ~ I will still have to hide the joints and finish painting.

So goes life in Hoopin' Holler'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X