X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wood scalpure id help

my family have that scalpture many years over 150
    and i need some help for id history

You should start by telling what you can about the family. Where located? What do the elders know about the piece?

To me it looks like an architechural carving from Spain or the Mediterranean area.

Comment

I doubt you'll ever find out much about it. Looks typically Asian to me, Thai, Cambodian or Indonesian, maybe. No doubt unsigned and undated, probably no indication of country of origin.
      Arthur

Comment

im from Greece iland crete in mountain psiloritis the father of my grandfather put that in the house buildind beam ,i dont no anything before the most of the woods have been burn exept that

Comment

i have and one that is burned

Comment

burn wood.jpg burnd
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, the story is what I imagined - a structural beam from a house - a personal expression of creativity from your great grandfather in the Greek tradition on the island of Crete. Treasure it!

Comment

thanks very much! can i have your opinion of the age?

Comment

Some people estimate a generation at 20 years, so the father of your grandfather may have lived 80 to 100 years ago. But the wood for that house beam may be older. Your estimate of 150 years may be more accurate. There are methods for dating old materials like burnt wood, but I suspect it is expensive.

Comment

thanks very much Mr Pallin

Comment

You might be able to narrow down the age by looking at the legal ownership of the house/property. I'm not sure if you have a government registry of the house/property and maybe even the census of who lived there at what time. If you do, you can go back through time and see when your family acquired the property and who lived there through the years. That might give you a starting point and help you to date the carving.

Bob L

Comment

Mr Bob the only thing i know for sure is from my mother told me that the house was with that beams. we dont know for sure if my family was there before 16th century .but the age of the vilage is from ancient years.in 17th and 18th century in crete was 5 ppl that make like this beams they call them nitathori the were carving wood for thrones house interios ,and church stuffs but the wood style is older than there scalpture i thing .in my family wasnt samone that we know then if he was carving sorry for my english
                        ty

Comment

a same but i thing erlier style is that temple of church 17th century11146260_10205611372776953_7275136557387828195_n.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X