Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Glenn , Was a Fun Piece , might need to do another one , 2 Daughters . Thanks Bud, Merle

Leave a comment:

• Glenn Jennings
    replied
    That piece looks wonderful. I really like the style of the piece.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Mark , It's Finished all but a Rub Down with 1400 Wet Emory Cloth and a Lite Coat of Wax . Will it tomorrow . Thanks for your Kind Words and Happy New Year . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Claude , Thank You and Happy New Year to you also . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Mark N. Akers
    replied
    Very nice job Merle, looks awesome.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    Happy New Year, Merle! That is going to look great in the walnut!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Randy , I have a couple of Cutsall course Bits that will take off the Waste Wood fast . For the next step I'll use a 3/4 " Drum Sander with my Flex Shaft Tool . On my Walnut Cane Toppers I used the Reciprocating Tool and it went thru like Butter , hope it's like that on this Piece . Today I'm not going for Detailing just getting a Rough Shape for tomorrows Detailing . Those Grooves in the Wing looks like Trouble for me . If so I can always put Feathers instead . Ha,Ha. Again it's only a Piece of Wood so have Fun . Thanks Randy Happy New Year Merle

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied
    That walnut is beautiful Merle This is going to be a great looking sculpture. You could do alot of the initial shaping with a heavy grit sanding disk and drum sander on your drill. I have never had a lot of success with a reciprocating tool on walnut. Do not know if it was the tool or me. I look forward to hearing how you progress.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Di , Thanks for pointing out about the Vibration on the Thin Wings . I was thinking about using my Reciprocating Hand Tool with a V Tool . ( Gingerly ). Maybe trying Various Speeds on the Bits will help reduce the Vibration . Trial an Error is always a .Good Learning Experience . Ha,Ha. Thanks Di , have a Happy New Year Merle

Leave a comment:

• Dileon
    replied
    What a beautiful piece of wood to work with and a great design. As far as the wings go, the thin wings and design is always a worry... I used only dremels for them once I got them thin and did tons of sanding vs carving, a lot more time-wise but ten times safer....., any kind of vibration from the flex shaft had me worried because of the more power. Of course, some hardwood can be shaved really thin if they have the right grain structure. The wood I am using now is a new hardwood for me, I am major testing the breakage point on it before I get into the final design of the wings by testing out various bits and burrs and vibration levels....each wood seems to have its own perfect set of bits and burrs. My flex shafts I use for sanding these days.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Arthur , I'm not even going to try my Hand Tools , this will be Power Tools all the way . I think I'll use just a Poly U Finish and let the Grain do it's thing . As you can see I changed the Base , thought it needed a Higher Base . The Wings look kinda Fragile , may be a Problem . Thanks Arthur for your Always Welcome Comments . Happy New Year . Merle

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Tom , a lot of Wood still needs to be removed before the Finish . Doing the Band Saw work I use a lot of Duck Tape and run the Blade Gard up as high as it would go , it just fit .Saves a lot of Hand Work . Here is a Picture of what it is supposed to look like . I make changes as I go . Happy New Year Tom . 1-Scan-001.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied
    Merle, that will be gorgeous! I tried walnut and my piece was like a rock...couldn't carve it with palm gouges...I'll be interested to learn how yours carves.

Leave a comment:

• Tom Ellis
    replied
    That is some nice bandsaw work Merle. Just put some finish on.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Sappy , Sure hope your Right .Thank You for your Encouraging Words Happy New Year. Merle

Leave a comment:

Working...
X