Update On Stylized Walnut Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update On Stylized Walnut Eagle

Removed a lot of Wood this Morning and uncovered a Crack . It was expected , it's an Old Piece of Walnut . The Dark Spots are the Repair area . I thought I would be able to Carve it away but was deeper than I thought .. Will see how my Repair shows up when the Finish is applied . Merle 1-IMG_0006.JPG 2-IMG_0001.JPG 3-IMG_0003.JPG 4-IMG_0004.JPG 5-IMG_0005.JPG

I have the same issue with a butternut piece I'm carving. I plan to use some sawdust with a bit of glue to patch the crack. How did you repair your piece?

Comment

Hi TreeWizard , I did the Glue and Saw Dust method before by mixing them then put the Mix into the Void . Now I put the Saw Dust into the Void first then use Thin CA Glue . I find by doing it this way works better for me . Merle

Comment

Looking good, you've got a lot of motion in the wings.

Comment

Looking good bud.
          . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Sappy , did some final Shaping today and about ready for the Grooves in the Wings . Boy I don't know about them . That's the Challenge of this Hobby . Thank You for your Kind Words . Merle Happy New Year

Comment

Hi Joe , now the going goes slow . Thanks Pal . Happy New Year Merle

Comment

Looking good, Merle! What's the advantage of using the glue and sawdust method rather than something like a commercial filler such as plastic wood? I've used both methods but I don't find anything that takes stain well.
                Arthur

Comment

Hi Arthur , I've found with Plastic Wood that once you open the Can the next time you need it , it Hard . Glue and Saw Dust is Handy and Cheap and fills the Crack well . I use Very Fine Saw Dust so it Penetrates Deep into the Crack , then Apply the Glue . Your right it Probably won't Stain well ,but Painting and Clear seems to work . Merle Happy New Year

Comment

For what it is worth~2¢~ QuikWood, is what I use.
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

I like Kwikwood as well, but find that it smells up the shop, especially now that it is around freezing outside and the windows need to be shut. Wash your hands well after using it, too. It carves and paints well after hardening. I haven’t tried staining it, so I can’t comment on that.

Nice start on the carving, Merle!

Comment

Hi Merle ,
                        Real shame about the crack. I woul flood the saw dust with the CA glue as it is very thin and acts with a capilliary action that gets right in to really fine cracks.

Maybe a bit of glue into the crack first then sawdust then more glue so there is no doubt that the glue gets into the finest cavity. Just a thought.

Best of luck.

Comment

Hi Glenn , did the Saw dust and Glue , didn't fill it completely so left it Exposed and let it give it some Character . Merle

Comment

Working...
                          X