No announcement yet.

Pterosaur carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice start there James, looks great.
    Mark N. Akers
    My Etsy Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/KarolinaKarver

Comment

I am working very slowly on this carving. Over the last few days, I have been slimming down the limbs, which seemed a little too robust, as well as thinning the wing membrane. I can see light coming through the edges of the wings, which tells me I am getting close. I defined the edge of the beak and drilled holes where the eyes will be placed, and shaped a slight curve in the neck to make it look a little more natural. I have also begun to shape the feet, which in flight were extended out behind the body. Since the wing membranes extended down to the ankles, changing the position of the legs by flexing at the hip or knee would warp the wing membranes. This would have the same effect on flight maneuverability as adjusting the angles of the flaps on aircraft wings. The shape of the membrane between the wrist and shoulder could also be changed by flexing or extending the pteroid bone, which was a modified wrist bone (unique to these creatures) that extended back toward the shoulder within the leading edge of this membrane. This would be comparable to changing the angle of the leading edge of an airplane wing. The Wright brothers controlled their first flight at Kitty Hawk in a similar fashion by warping the wings of their biplane with cables.

I have posted some photos I just took, but you make not see too much difference between these and the first ones I posted! Still lots of carving, sanding, and painting to do. Thanks for following this topic!

james

32074CB7-1369-409D-BDB1-436680C28C9F.jpeg C831ABF0-FCF7-433A-AD3E-A7341C0EC979.jpeg C081734E-ED9F-4D06-B9AE-2E0D9739726B.jpeg

Comment

Looking good!

Claude
        My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Excellent work, James, and enjoy the carving.
          Bill
          Living among knives and fire.

http://www.westernwoodartist.com

Comment

Hi James , it looks like it could Fly . A lot of work has been done and done well . Merle

Comment

Outstanding work. Your replication is impressive.
              We live in the land of the free because of the brave!

https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

This is so interesting! I am wondering if these were flyers or gliders? I am thinking of bats, when they fly, they flap their wings really fast, maybe that is what this little guy did too?

Comment

Wing shape to some extent reveals what kind of flyers pterosaurs might have been. The smaller ones (sparrow-sized to eagle-sized) had shorter, broader wings and were probably agile flyers. The larger ones (with wing spans exceeding 15 feet) had albatross-like wings and were primarily gliders. Similar distribution of wing types and flight capabilities as seen in modern birds, although modern birds are nowhere near as big as the largest pterosaurs.

Comment

I am taking a risk today. The pterosaur I am carving had teeth in the upper and lower jaws, but it would be very difficult to add teeth to the carving in its current state, even though the mouth is wide open. I guess I didn’t think quite far enough ahead about just how to make the teeth. I have decided to cut off the lower jaw near its base, carve out the interiors of the upper and lower jaws, add the teeth, then re-attach the jaw. I think I can conceal the joint OK, since the hair-like feather texturing would cover that area. Wish me luck.
                    Last edited by J Norton; 02-26-2021, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Should work well. Paint will aid in closing the joint.
                      You might never finish the carving if you try to do this any other way.
                      To have a Raven hold an object in its beak, I ,too, cut off the lower jaw.
                      Made all the adjustments and glued it back together.
                      Brian T

Comment

Thanks for sharing your experience with this approach, Brian.

Comment

Well, encouraged by Brian T, I sawed off the lower jaw, drilled some tooth sockets, and inserted 3-4 mm long pieces of wire for teeth. According to the fossil cast I am basing this carving on, this creature had teeth only in the anterior 2/3 or so of the jaw, and had some kind of a horny beak at the end of the jaws. After the wire teeth were glued into their sockets, I ground them down to about the same length. I will eventually need to round off the tips of the wires into blunt points for more realistic teeth. I glued the jaw back on, sanded the attachment area while the wood glue was still wet, and the joint is hardly visible. I did a little work on the head, including drawing the border between the “feathered” portions of the head and the leathery skin on the beak and locating the nostrils. I started shaping the feet, which are in a resting position trailing behind the body, with toes bent. The wing membrane was defined a little more near the ankles and tail. I have to be careful not to make it too thin and fragile. All in all, a good day’s progress.

james

B5D49D20-4FF3-473D-BEBF-BA577BDB1D9C.jpeg 66BB0CA0-AB45-442A-9950-164987C6AA4C.jpeg

Comment

Man, you just put a big smile on my face. I realize the teeth will need trimming but the concept sure worked well. This 'bird' is just about alive!
                            Brian T

Comment

My dentists charges 2000 for each post!

Comment

Incredible work you're doing here!
                                . . .JoeB

Comment

Working...
                                X