No announcement yet.

Pterosaur carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did the same thing with the dragon, the teeth were mostly inserted...although I did not cut off the jawline which would have made the whole process easy. Awesome job so far on the whole thing.

Comment

Looking really good. Great job. Cant wait to see it finished. Your last one was just awesome.

Comment

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone. I had to take a little break from carving - to write an article on ship modeling, of all things - but I am back to work today. Almost time to start texturing the wing membranes and the hairy feathers that cover the body, limbs, and head. Also on the to-do list are making wire and epoxy wing digits, three on each wing, and setting the yellow glass eyes in their sockets. Fun project!

james

Comment

I have textured the pterosaur carving using woodburning to suggest the supporting fibers in the wing membranes, and a texturing stone on my Dremel to suggest the hairy protofeathers on the limbs, torso, and head. I set yellow glass eyes in place using Kwikwood epoxy putty, and added wing claws made from epoxy clay over a wire armature. I sealed the carving and have added two coats of diluted gesso before painting. Images are attached below.

james

26959AC8-6C12-499B-978C-F4C9D3E8E7B5.jpeg 7301B555-7CEE-48EF-B0FF-EE35505085D0.jpeg

Comment

I wonder what all they ate in a day. I think there are lots of paleo museums that would be happy to include this in a display.
            Brian T

Comment

Your careful dexterity skill must be unbelievable. Fine job, going to show well when your done
              . . .JoeB

Comment

The pterosaur after a few washes of paint to create a “shorebird” look. I chose a yellow-orange for the beak and yellow-green for the exposed skin on the “hands” and feet, with some red highlights on the crest. I am starting to think about a wall-mounted base, which seems to be the best way to display this carving. I am not 100% with it, but it was fun to do.

A35E3FE2-620C-4D69-A5E2-4A288CDDDF6B.jpeg CA7DE10A-7F86-490D-A129-0408D4093253.jpeg 3A5CEDA0-411F-49A9-972E-E60289BF9B62.jpeg

Comment

Hi Jim , looks petty good to me .Very well Carved . Merle

Comment

You brought it to life. I like the idea of a wall mount. The head appears to be twisted ever so slightly to the right, so a right-angled turning placement would look pretty cool. Just the dynamic capture of a moment in time = a carving concept that I have always admired.
                    Brian T

Comment

Hope there is some plan to share this fine work with someone other than us here on this website. Your work truly needs to be displayed publicly. My 2¢
                      . . .JoeB

Comment

Beautiful job!
                        Arthur

Comment

I am glad I joined this site. Your comments and encouragement are just what I need to keep working at this hobby. Thanks for the kind words.

Comment

Pterry, or Terry, welcome to the world! Very nicely done!

Comment

Have to agree with arthur . Beautiful job.

Comment

Pterry up on the wall, on to another project! Thanks all for the kind words and encouragement!

james

3D851F2E-D4D5-4B5A-AA47-A3F126D69FE0.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                                X