Wolf Head Carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf Head Carving

IMG_0006-002.JPG IMG_0007.JPG IMG_0009.JPG IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0012.JPG This is a Jonas Olson Pattern . Mahogany Wolf with Walnut Base , 9"x 8" x 4 1/2 " . Finish is Poly U Satin and lite coat of Feed-n-Wax . I'm surprised that it got finished , it had A big Knot under the Left Eye and Start of his Snout which became a Large Hole . At that time I felt I would use him as a Practice Piece and mix Glue and Sawdust to fill the hole then see how it looked . I put on about 3 coats of Glue and Saw Dust and was surprised at the Results . That kept him from the Trash Can .
    Told the Barber about him and he wants to see him and make a Bid . He maybe gone before he was finished. A good lesson on to" never give up ".

Great job Merle, I also like the piece of maple, or whatever it is, between the base, and wolf head.
    Another beauty. You could probably get haircuts for life.
    If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Hi, Tom , That is a Piece of Basswood , I thought it would add some Contrast . I just got back from the Barbers and it is now his . He thought it was Beautiful and couldn't keep his Eyes off it . He has Charity Auctions that he donates to and this is destined for one next year . Getting it now he said he can enjoy it for a Year before Donating . He did that with an Eagle Stick of mine .
      His Haircuts cost $ 10.00 , Boy the Price you have to Pay to look Neat . Ha,Ha.
      Thanks Tom Merle

Comment

What a masterpiece, what is not to like about this project Merle, It definitely deserves a place of honor∙∙∙∙WOW
        . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Joe, on the Left Side View under his Eye and Start of his Snout you can see the Dark Area , that is where the Knot was . I took a Chance and Dug out the Knot then put my mixture of Glue and Saw Dust in the Hole . I really didn't think it would work , but to my surprise , it did . The Barber is Happy and so am I . Always Appreciate your Encouraging Words , Thank You . Merle

Comment

That's a good one, Merle! Nice save, too. Your barber must be your best customer!
            Arthur

Comment

Hi Arthur, he likes to see all my Carvings . When I first started Caving he Donated one of my Walking Sticks to the Masons Auctions . They took it out of the Auction and are using it in their Ceremonies . He enjoys the Attention that it gets and so do I . Helps to keep me in this Hobby with Supplies . Thanks for Commenting Arthur. Merle

Comment

Hi Merle
                Another beautifully executed piece mate . You got a great finish on it and I like the contrast with the white wood on the base. The eye has a tendancy to rove all over the piece to try to take in all the different aspects of the piece. A quality that makes it an interesting piece to look at from any angle. Nice one !!!!

Comment

Hi Mate, The Design caught my Eye and I just had to try to do it . It was a Challenge and made me think a lot , that's this great Hobby . Thanks for your Nice Words. Merle

Comment

Well done Merle! Carving an presentation. like the light color wood at the base of the carving . It sets of the work.
                    We live in the land of the free because of the brave!
                    https://www.pinterest.com/carvingbarn0363/

Comment

Merle,

Another great job on this stylized wolf.

Ed
                      https://www.ebay.com/sch/bmart50/m.h...1&_ipg=&_from=
                      Local club
                      https://www.facebook.com/CentralNebraskaWoodCarvers

Comment

Nice carving Merle. Very pretty grain. Was it power carved? But its not an eagle.
                        Carve On,
                        Kadiddle

Comment

Merle, the more I look at it, I just know that one of these days your going to get the hang of it
                          . . .JoeB

Comment

Hi Randy, I see what you meant about the Eyes . I had tried to do what you said but didn't go far enough. I wasn't sure what I was doing . Being you pointed it out now I know . Again Thanks . Merle

Comment

Hi Ed, like you, I get a lot of Pleasure out of Stylize Carving and it's easier on the Eyes. Thanks Merle

Comment

Working...
                              X