Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base for bird carving

Fellow carvers,

I am struggling with the design of a base for my current bird carving. I want the support to be as inconspicuous as possible. I don’t want to construct a gratuitous piece of habitat just to support the carving. The carving is of a half-size diving osprey, most likely similar to one discussed on this forum a few years ago. The bird will have wings partially folded and claws extended, in the nearly vertical pose frequently assumed by these apex predators just before hitting the water. I have thought about simulating a water surface by carving and painting, or having a mirror built in to reflect the incoming osprey. My main objective is to have the bird as the primary focus, and want its support/base to just disappear. Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

James
    Maine

You already have the right ideas. Use a wood different from the Osprey. Consider supporting on wires.

017.jpg

Comment

I agree with Phil - a single wire coming up from the base to support the bird. Could be painted to match the base color, could be left as is. Gauge of wire dependent on the size weight of the carving.

Claude
      My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
      My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
      My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
      My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Claude and Phil,

Thanks for your quick replies. I have considered a wire, more specifically a stiff brass rod, for supporting the carving above a base. I would probably bend the rod into a curve, so that the bird is supported above the base but the rod is not directly below the bird’s body. I would blacken the brass rod, to make it less conspicuous. I have plenty of time to figure this out, since I am far from completing the carver itself. I will post a photo or two.

James
        Maine

Comment

Here is an in-progress photo of my diving osprey …

James

2461F5CF-27B8-4E3A-A560-C7A03291E764.jpg

Comment

The carving looks like it is coming along nicely, as expected based on your previous works. My mind is picturing a couple ideas.

First a green marble base and straight cold rolled steel rod located at the birds balance point. Here is my thinking the weight of a marble base would provide stability with less diameter than a wood or other base the steel instead of brass provides the same advantage.

Second a wood base with an arching brass rod suspending the bird from a fine silver guitar string.

Well that’s my two cents worth, I’m sure you will come up with an attractive design.

CB2F76C0-AE4B-4165-9703-4BA8EED3FCBB.jpg F44A9A70-5ACC-43A8-80C5-11500CAABFB9.jpg
            Last edited by Nebraska; 05-29-2022, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Nebraska, for the thought and effort you put into your response to my question. Much appreciated. I think my final design will incorporate a curved rod in some way, I like the look. If I enter the carving in a competition, the elements of the base will have to be hand made, according to the usual competition rules.

James

Comment

Another idea would be to attach the claws to a fish just coming up out of the wood base.

Comment

Think What kind of environment is the bird in at the moment? Is there grass or branches around? Is there a rock? Or is there water? Nature is ever evolving and infinite. Your imagination can make nature adapt to the moment the bird is in.

I'm thinking your osprey is retrieving a fish from water. Water is extremely flexible. Like Sappy says, use the fish in water or you could hide the supports for the bird in splashes of water that would occur as the fish is pulled from the water.

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...g?format=1500w

Just my 2 cents worth.

BobL

Comment

From the start, I planned to portray a diving osprey on its way to the water. Nothing in the claws, yet. I don’t believe ospreys would purposefully dive into shallow water near vegetation, so having grass kr reeds as the support for the carving would not work for me. There’s my conundrum - how to support a carving of a bird diving into an essentially flat surface? I am tending toward an abstract, minimalist, featureless base that supports the bird without distracting from it. Maybe I am creating my own problem, but I am enjoying the challenge. I will figure it out. BTW, the Image of an osprey retrieving a fish from water, with splashes all around, sounds like the carving mentioned in older posts, but pictures of it have disappeared.

James

Comment

I'm no deisgner, so I shant suggest, that I am very interested in the piece. I really love the Osprey you've got going there. ...looking forward to the finished art!
                      Really nice!

Comment

Thanks, MDWine, for the kind words. I will post more images of the carving once I have finished carving the feathers on the wings, head, and body.

james

Comment

Originally posted by J Norton View Post
                          From the start, I planned to portray a diving osprey on its way to the water. Nothing in the claws, yet. I don’t believe ospreys would purposefully dive into shallow water near vegetation, so having grass kr reeds as the support for the carving would not work for me. There’s my conundrum - how to support a carving of a bird diving into an essentially flat surface? I am tending toward an abstract, minimalist, featureless base that supports the bird without distracting from it. Maybe I am creating my own problem, but I am enjoying the challenge. I will figure it out. BTW, the Image of an osprey retrieving a fish from water, with splashes all around, sounds like the carving mentioned in older posts, but pictures of it have disappeared.

James
                          I might suggest a couple brass wires coming up into the feet, from your mount. You can paint the metal "after treatment" and with the right colorations, base of water and the area between. I used to live next to several Osprey nests and a river. The wings and body would have to be changed to have it picking out a fish, you think?
                          I have a Whale jumping, I mounted on a piece of Alabaster white foamy and a short piece of Soapstone holding it. OR you might find some plexiglass the help your mounts.
                          Good luck Chuck
                          Chuck
                          Always hoping for a nice slice that won't need sanding!

https://woodensmallthings.blogspot.com/2021/01/

Comment

Really looking forward to seeing the finished piece. Think it will be awesome.

Comment

Working...
                            X