No announcement yet.

Base for bird carving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James, in the latest Woodcarving Illustrated mag, there is an article by DL Miller placing a floating leaf with Resin. It was timely for me, as it fits in with a project I am working on. I can see how it might be of help to you with placing a fish below the surface also.

Comment

Sappy, I saw that article as well. Surely a technique to think about for my base.

james

Comment

Here is the latest (4th!) incarnation of the base, incorporating my original idea way back when about the base having a ripply surface and Merle’s recent suggestion that the bird needed a target. I tried various versions of a fish on the base, from a wood burned outline to a fairly detailed relief carving to this abstract depiction of a fish-like shape just under the surface causing ripples. It is abstract, simple, denotes what the bird is aiming at, but will not take attention away from the carving itself. I also switched from a round shape to an oval, thinking it would accentuate the forward and downward motion of the bird in its dive. The round base seemed a little static. I hope this version sticks, after I do a little more sanding on it. I want to get back to finishing the paint job! Forgive the messy workbench and the darkness of the carving itself, the light through the window affected the exposure somewhat.

james

0BC2891A-B0AD-4F3B-829F-22034314B8C4.jpg
        Last edited by J Norton; 08-11-2022, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Simple clean lines supports the work without becoming a distraction seem like a winner to me.

Comment

Hi, J, looks like your on the right Track now. Gona be Nice. Merle

Comment

Hi James
              Just love the feather detail it looks just stunning. Think what you have chosen for ther base is spot on is going to be wonderful.

Comment

Really makes the whole piece in motion, very nice!

Comment

I think that this is a great forum, and the comments and suggestions from all of you are always thoughtful and helpful. Thanks to all. I have been looking at the osprey carving and have been asking myself “Did I really do that?” I feel fortunate to be able to create something nice to look at, and to be in the company of others who can create such varied and interesting pieces and share their experience. Thanks to all.

james

Comment

Hi, James, I often ask myself that when I look at a Carving that I did in the Past . Did I do That ?? Merle

Comment

Working...
                    X