Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fish carving

Thomp
    Did you check out Wood Carving Illustrated issue # 10 spring 2000 shows how to carve & paint Blue Gills also shows A stringer full. Here is a Blue gill I carved in Butternut & different woods for habitant.
    Gordo.
    "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"&&-old Nordic proverb

Re: Fish carving

Very nice work,love the natural finish! Whats the size of him??
    Forrest

Comment

Gordo, you must be very proud of that blue gill, he's a beauty and I really like him finished natural.
      Cliff

Comment

Gordo,
        That's a good looking fish. You've done a great job in finishing it. I've done several fish, but none have been finished naturally. I'd think that would be much harder to get good fits with fin inserts, etc. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Donna T
        From Missouri

Comment

I like the looks of this natural finish over the 'so-realistic-you'd-think-it's-taxidermy' finish.

My $0.02

S~
          Carvito ergo sum.

Comment

Very nice finish indeed. I can appreciate your finishing choice, natural wood grain rather than what the current judging criteria calls for. I find it more visually pleasing to "experience" the wood grain. I carved a trout a year or so ago and used a piece of white pine with very nice grain (see photo). I thought nothing else but a plain steel rod and a charcoal colored base was needed to complete the work. I formed the pectoral and ventral fins from copper to give the piece a longer life. Jose

Comment

Gordo,

thats a nice fish,

ill have to look for that issue i bought some back issues, but ill bet it wasn't one of them , you know how that goes...

thanks for the info

im still stuck in the roughing out phase of my fish waiting in an inspiring notion to come and make me finish up..

Comment

Gordo,
                Love the natural grainof the butternut. Looks kind of like scales or the way they run. Excellent job

ventralis,
                Like your also. again the grain run shows up and makes it appear like scale. Also an excellent piece.

Comment

Gordo, nice work on the blue gill. The natural finish is great too, as is the habitat.
                  Mike

Comment

That's a really nice presentation, Gordo. I love the way you coordinated the fish with the habitat, and the natural finish works perfectly.

Al

Comment

Hi Gordo,Great piece of art, That would look good on anyones shelf. Merle

Comment

Just noticed this thread on the fish, very nice job on the fish. I like the natural finish also.

Comment

Thanks every one for your nice comments.
                          as to the size it stands about 11" and the fish about 7" long.I finish my natural carvings with Minwax Toung oil a couple of coats fine steel wool between coats.
                          Gordo.
                          "A knifeless man is a lifeless man"&&-old Nordic proverb

Comment

nice fish!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X