A Silver Salmon ... in process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Silver Salmon ... in process

I've not been able to get on line for a few days and I see I've fallen behind. Will have to catch up!

A friend of mine had to toss a silver salmon to appease a bear that was waaaay too close to us and closing the distance fast. This was up on Kodiak Island a couple years ago. I decided to carve him a replacement salmon.

Here's what I've got so far. I also have the wood carved, pretty much completely, where the fish will attach to the mount. I still need to carve the base. I think it will be a blend of heartwood/sapwood stream rock. The wood is black walnut. The grain was pretty swirly and I couldn't predict exactly how it would align with the fish body when cut. So, I took what I got. The left side of the fish is pretty wild.

I just put the fins on today so it looks like a fish. I will get on with correcting my errors (and my unhappy spots) as best I can. For instance the adipose fin has to go. Will carve a better shape for the new and will use heartwood. Don't know why I used sapwood in the first place...very out of place on the dark dorsal side of the fish.

Anyhow...here's what he looks like at the moment.

The finish will, of course, be a natural finish to show off the wood grain. I guess this fits in the "interpretive" style of carving/finishing.

Re: A Silver Salmon ... in process

That is a beautiful "catch".....especially the swirlly side! Good work.

Comment

Hey Randy,

it's lookin' really great. I too, like that swirly grain on the left side. One of the wonders of our hobby working with wood - you're never sure what grain you'll get until you finish!

Mark

Comment

Here's the salmon after some more work. Finished the fins and found a resting "lie" for him. I just got done putting some wood filler around the fin/body joints. I hope to get the final sanding done tomorrow.

Also tomorrow I hope to get the river rocks carved and put in place around the knot. The slope will be high to the rt side of the image and get lower to the left side. At the extreme left side I plan to carve the base down to where it grades into the table top.

Comment

Randy, I think your salmon looks great. Even though you haven't finished the mounting rocks, I know they'll look just as good. Let us see the completely finished work.
          Mike

Comment

Hi Randy, great job on this carving. I, too, really like the swirling grain on the body.
            Ron T.
            http://stickcarving.webs.com/

Comment

That is a REALLY pretty piece of work, Randy! Thoe wild graines work so well on fish!

Al

Comment

OK... I finished the silver salmon. He's a purty fish.

The light colored wood of the base is aspen. It really finishes nice for such a "plain" looking wood. The pictures don't do it justice.

Comment

That is a beautiful carving......can't say the same about the fish. It looks like a salmon near the end of the run. The river rocks and aspen base are very effective. Good work!

Comment

WOW! That is a beautiful carving! Terrific job.
                    Your friend will be blown away by it, I am sure.

Is the sanding all done manually or do you use a belt or some other mechanical sander? I ask because it looks like it took a lot of sanding.

How many hours into it do you figure you have?

Again, the carving is wonderful.

Russ

Comment

Now, this is what I call a work of art, you sure captured the meaning of an end of the run Salmon.
                      Awesome carving....a feast for the eyes...
                      Thanks for sharring.

Comment

I like all of it great carving on the fish and the base. Excellent presentation.
                        I like the natural finish and the grain really sets it off. Outstanding
                        Job.
                        Bill

Comment

Thats a beautiful fish the natural finish shows it off nicely.

Comment

Working...
                          X