Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Blue Heron

Hi everyone,

I know that there have been a few of you that have carved a Great Blue Heron in the past. I'm looking for a good pattern to carve one that is smaller than life size.

When we were up north this summer, my 7 yr. old son spotted one and yelled "Hey, there's a Great Blue Heron". I'm not very familiar with Herons so I said that I wasn't sure which kind it was but we took some photos of him so that we could check when we got home. He was on the lookut for them all week and when we got home we checked my bird books and sure enough it was a Great Blue Heron. So, that was all the inspiration I need. I'd like to carve one but I think life size would be a bit too big (we'd have nowhere to put it).

If anyone can recommend a good pattern or where to find one, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
    Chris.

Re: Great Blue Heron

Chris,
    I took a photo of one, enlarged it to lifesize on a printer (had to cut it in 1/4ths and enlarge again), then cut out the silhouette and traced around it onto wood. You could enlarge it to whatever size you want.
    If your picture is the pose you want, you can carve it from the actual experience with your son!
    There are also lots of books at the library, I'm sure, and books on carving water birds available on the internet and book stores.
    Have fun!
    Wade

Comment

icarve2003

I have a pattern that is about half life size that I got from Hi Ho.If you pm me your address I would be more than happy to send you a copy if you'd like.

Comment

Whiskers,

I received the pattern in the mail yesterday. Thank you so much for sending it and the extra info. you sent will be very helpful. The photo that lists the colours is great, is that from a carving book?

I will probably get started on it tonight, can't wait.

Thanks again, much appreciated, and like I said let me know if there are any patterns you are looking for. I have many songbirds and birds of prey.

Chris.

Comment

icarve2003,

Glad you received the pattern and I hope all the info will help. I think the color photo's are from a book but I don't know which one. I could ask Hi-Ho Sliver since he was kind enough to send me this pattern. I may take you up on your offer of a pattern for a hawk in flight if you have one (red tail). I've got so many projects in the fire right now, red tail hawk (perched) bullfrog, butterfly, great blue heron, water turtle, black crappie and a cardinal. and not nearly enough time to carve.

I kind of get bored sometimes working on one project and start another one. Guess I should finish one before I start another, Oh well, havin fun though.

Comment

I believe that book was "Wildfowl reference guide to waterbirds" enjoy!
            "Lif iz lik a box "o" choc lets, ya nevr kno whut yull git!"

Comment

Sorry Whiskers, I don't have a Redtail hawk in flight, only perched. I think the only birds I have in flight are Bald Eagle and Peregrine Falcon. Maybe I'll make a list of what I do have and pm you.

Comment

I hated hiding the heron in the gallery, Nice work on him.

Ash

Comment

Well, just over 3 years later and I've got the Heron finished. My job kept me too busy to be carving for a couple of years, but I'm trying to make time now.

I entered the Heron in the local competition last weekend and took home a ribbon.

I'll post more photos as I take them

Comment

Hey Chris, I like your heron, he has a nice style, good head, I know its good, cause I like it. !!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I am not a bird carver but I know what I like and Like Hugh, I like it!!!

Comment

Chris, great job on the heron. Can't tell from the pic, but is it half size?
                        Congratulations on the ribbon..well deserved.
                        Mike

Comment

Chris, I was down at the Hamilton show and remember seeing your Heron. In my opinion it was the best carving at the show. It looks so life like that you want to reach out and touch it. I would say it was 3 yrs well spent. Excellent work!

Comment

Thank you for the compliments everyone. Boy, this forum hasn't changed in the time I've been away from it, still a lot of friendly people out there.

carvnman, it's actually 1/3 size. It stands about 12" tall.

Shawn, wow, I didn't really think it was that great. It's really nice to hear what other people think of your work. Thanks very much for the kind words. It really means a lot coming from a fellow carver!

Chris

Comment

Hey Chris , great job on the Heron , it really does look life like , congrats on the ribbon

Comment

Working...
                              X