Steelhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steelhead

I finished this carving up today and took some pics. Too sunny in Oregon today so the light wasn't so good and it affects the colors in the images.

I incorporated a bit of a Coast Indian design into the paddle...a salmon head type design. It's relief carved on some incense cedar that I carved into a "broken" paddle shape. It's supposed to be an old lost paddle that sank and got imbedded in the stream bottom. I love Coast Indian designs and carvings. I think I'll try to use them more in future carvings of NW fish.

I aged the wood by sanding out the early wood with some 3M sanding discs. That raises the late wood and gives it an eroded appearance. I used a solution of steelwool dissolved in vinegar to darken the wood. That's a great way to age wood of any sort...at least the species I've used it on. The paint is acrylic but I "aged" that too, using a black walnut stain.

The wood is Jelutong with Tupelo scrap used for fins and other features of the base. The bottom part of the base is Myrtlewood on the bottom and Black Walnut on the top.

The sand bottom is texture paste (coarse variety) straight from the jar. I sculpted it a bit to show the sand ripples of the stream bottom. I highlighted the downstream side of the ripples to accent them...trying to mimic the appearance of the real sandy stream bottom.

The fish is painted with powders, water color pencils, acrylic and laquer paints and scale tipping with metallic paints.

So... the carving...

Re: Steelhead

Wow that is so nice great job I would like to beable to do that some day

Comment

Beautiful fish. I really am intrigues with the base..I likeit a lot. The colors on the fish are so crisp and clear...you did a great job.

Comment

Another exceptional piece of "fish art", Randy! The native paddle is a novel mount...never would have thought of that.

Al

Comment

Wonderful carving and presentation. Great job!

Comment

Absolutely incredible ! I really like the weathered paddle mount. Brings back memories of when I was stationed at Ft.Lewis,Wa. and had the opportunity to fish for one of these beauties. I never landed one, but my buddy did. Thanks for sharing the details of your work. Great photos !

Willysticks

Comment

It Speaks. It truly is awe inspiring Randy the soul of the artist shows through.
              Mitch

Comment

Wow!! That is truly a great carving and painting is awesome.

Comment

Very impressive, would love to catch one of those someday

Comment

This entire piece flows perfectly. You've nailed it!

Rick

Comment

Very nice! The paddle and driftwood nicely accent the piece without overpowering it.

Claude
                      My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
                      My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
                      My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
                      My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Great piece, A real masterpiece i must say.
                        I think i would like to carve a fish as much as eating
                        them & that's a whole lot. If i could only do them as
                        well as you. Thanks for showing.

Bob

Comment

Very clean fish. I only hope that I can imagine that they swim like that in the Morice and the Dean. I caught some there but a looooong way back!
                          Brian T

Comment

Beautiful piece Randy,excellent painting.

Comment

TOP JOB! for sure. The colors are just beautiful. The paddle really adds to it too. Special effects are grand.
                              Thanks for sharing
                              Charlie
                              Charlie Wolfe [email protected]
                              http://charleswolfe.weebly.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X