Cedar Caterpillar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cedar Caterpillar

Western Red Cedar fence post 3.5 x 3.5 x 17". Cut for a 20 degree twist to the right and a 20 degree lift. Abalone shell eye spots, slate eyes and copper spiracles. 2X Liquitex Gloss varnish then lightly sanded back over the tool marks for the scale-like surface. The stone is 1" thick, the little white spot is a fossil! Good thing that I don't catch such beasts in my grapevines.
    I think I want to buy some sort of a cute little leash when this shows in the Artisan's Exhibition in September. Yes?
    Brian T

Re: Cedar Caterpillar

Interesting . Wonder what kind of a butterfly he would make. Ginny

Comment

That leash is a good idea. Then have a Robin walking alongside him with the leash in
      his mouth so the Robin is walking his pet. That would make an unusual and prizewinning display.

Ray

Comment

My favorite thing about this site is the imagination of the posters, and this one has plenty.

How about reins and a rider? Maybe a bunch of very small riders, like they were taking the bus.....
        Buffalo Bif
        www.bflobif.com

Comment

You sure have the imagination working on this one Brian. Nice work! The leash....hmm Keep em coming mate.

Comment

Thats cool.
            Makes me hungry for donuts.( from the side looks like it could be a string of donuts. Baker's dozen.)
            I think the copper spiracles are really neat... maybe hard to breath through.

No osmetrium or tentacles?

I like the idea of leash or reins and rider.
            Greg

Comment

It could be one of the ravens you carved that is alongside holding the leash....

Claude
              My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/
              My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/
              My Instagram Page: https://www.instagram.com/claudeswoodcarving/
              My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Cute little critter!
                Terry

Comment

Thanks Ginny. I've done a lot of insect collecting over the years (genetics, diversity, etc). The really big caterpillars, hot dog size, usually metamorphose into a moth of some sort. Maybe something with 18" wings?
                  Brian T

Comment

Thanks Ray. I was thinking of a leash tied to a cement block! _MY_ pet. Do you have any concept of how much a caterpillar of this size could eat? Bank-breaker.
                    Brian T

Comment

Thanks Josef. Might have been done far sooner but the kitchen spoon thing got in the way. Do you think the body segment grooves are too deep?
                      Brian T

Comment

GG thanks. I considered adding more accurate body parts. To avoid the thing looking like a hobby shop kit, I was almost prepared to bash out the bits from 1/4" copper rod.
                        Early summer has finally arrived and I need to stay out of my burrow.
                        Brian T

Comment

Thanks Claude but the big Ravens are rotting in the Vancouver, BC rain. Maybe drying out these days. A little pussy-cat body harness, tied to a concrete block.

The rider(s) thing won't work unless I carve saddles for them. The Robson Valley is ranch & horse country. They would expect anything but bareback!
                          Brian T

Comment

Thanks Nomad. Think about it = a bunch of repeating lumps in a row. Particular ones have legs. That's it! At 17" long, I don't think it's above a beginner's skill to do.
                            Brian T

Comment

Now you're giving me good inspiration. My stepdaughter is due with her first next month, with a shower in a little over a week. She has a ladybug theme going for her nursery... you see where I'm headed!

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X