Boat fuel carving.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat fuel carving.

Taking this carving down to the gift store to see how it sells. Working on similar designs that are fun/easy and maybe catch the eye of our summer visitors . Its nice when carvings help with my fishing expenses.

With base, stands 31 inches. Carved out of three 2x6 pine lumber glued together. Base is walnut.
    Greg

Re: Boat fuel carving.

Outstanding! Sure looks real, thanks for sharing.
    Oscar

Comment

Thank you, Oscar.
      Its not too realistic. In person, it looks like a cross between a snowy egret and a cormorant. I like it, its a happy bird.
      Greg

Comment

Nice job Greg, that might keep you fishing all summer. Good luck.

Tom
        If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Nice work GG, good size and looks perfect in the marsh.
          Could you change the base to something that could withstand such a wet environment?
          Brian T

Comment

Originally posted by Robson Valley View Post
            Nice work GG, good size and looks perfect in the marsh.
            Could you change the base to something that could withstand such a wet environment?
            I sure could...I have access to a dock/pier building company's dumpster. I can pick through old dock pilings and new scrapes. I did a few chainsaw pelicans with some but got a little bored with those.

With this bird I just wanted to do a table topper design. Some of the new carving designs may have to go the route you suggest...maybe piling toppers!
            Greg

Comment

Thanks Tom.
              I'm afraid I'll have to do a lot more carvings to support my fishing habit.
              Greg

Comment

Good news. If potential clients/customers like pelicans, then make a bunch to feed your boat. Couple of lag bolts, on the end of the pier, splash some white paint around, got 'er done.
                Brian T

Comment

Nice, Greg.
                  What price do you have on it?
                  Is the finish outdoor- proof?
                  Is the glue outdoor-proof?
                  Buffalo Bif
                  www.bflobif.com

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bif View Post
                    Nice, Greg.
                    What price do you have on it?
                    Is the finish outdoor- proof?
                    Is the glue outdoor-proof?
                    Thanks Brian.
                    I tell the gift shop what I want and try to leave room for them to mark it up 25% to 60%, whatever they want. On this one, I told them I wanted $100 and they priced it at $165.
                    I have about 6 hours in it. future carvings like it I should be able to do in 3 1/2 to 4 hours...I think.
                    My driftwood pieces seems to be the most liked but I wanted to add something different to my inventory there, that's a little easier.

I had some good news when I took this one down there today, they sold one of my bigger driftwood carvings. It was a egret with a mullet in his mouth. it sold for $375!

This one is for inside display. I just took it down to the marsh grass for pictures (its pretty tame, he didn't try to fly away) ...I painted with acrylic and finished with minwax polly. The glue was Tight bond III.
                    Greg

Comment

Hi Greg, Congratulations on your Sale, you shouldn't have any problem selling this one either. Good piece of work. Merle

Comment

Hello Greg, that is a sharp looking piece. And congrats on the sale of the other one.

Lots of luck with the others.

Ray

Comment

Great carving! That should sell easily. Be great around anyone's pond are lake cottage.
                          Terry

Comment

Thanks, Merle, Ray and Terry.
                            I don't really know any carvers and its nice to hear kind comments of encouragement from carvers I admire.
                            This whole forum has been and is a huge help to me and source of inspiration.
                            Greg

Comment

Hi Greg,

Hey, that's a GREAT piece. Very eye-catching! So, what are you going to do to support your carving habit? : )

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X