Work In Progress: American Kestrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work In Progress: American Kestrel

It has been a while since I last posted here. Reason being, I have recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. Had been troubled by worrisome tremor in my left hand, and some easily overlooked other symptoms. The diagnosis threw me into a minor funk, which I have mostly now climbed out of. Medication seems to help, plus it was an early diagnosis. Trying to think positive thoughts, and am getting back to the carving. So I guess I now have something in common with Michael J. Fox, Linda Ronstadt, Johnny Cash, Janet Reno, and even more.

I thought I'd post a couple of photos of my current bird, a male American Kestrel, after Jerry Simchuk's book on the carving/painting. The wood is tupelo, and it will be painted with acrylics. The legs/toes shown here are pewter casts, but the finished bird will have handmade feet, with a dragonfly in one foot.

I have been working on a FaceBook page dealing with my bird carvings and other things related to birds and bird art. My web site is also ongoing.

Robert A. Wasmer
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rober...1367243?ref=hl

Re: Work In Progress: American Kestrel

That is very impressive. I hope the Parkinson's doesn't slow you down too much as you are doing a wonderful job of carving!

Comment

Someday I hope to develop my skills to the point that I can do work of that quality. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Very beautiful work despite the Parkinson's ....... beautiful under any conditions!!
        Your back yard is lovely too!

Comment

Sorry about the diagnosis, but treatment has improved. Great looking bird, I envy you your skill.

Comment

I sincerely hope you will be able to carve for many, many years to come. It seems like the older we get the more trouble comes our way. God Bless ya and I pray that your disease can be put into remission You have a wonderful talent . Your bird is magnificent. Ginny

Comment

Looking real good.
              Keep up the good work.
              Charlie
              Charlie Wolfe [email protected]
              http://charleswolfe.weebly.com/

Comment

This getting older "thing" can be bothersome. Glad you got an early diagnosis. I wish you all the success in the world in living good with Parkinson's. Seems like medical technology keeps getting better at helping on all health issues.

Glad you are back to carving Bob. I am a firm believer that maintaining your active interests is good for mind and body.

And... The Kestrel, of course, looks very good. :-)

Comment

You have a great looking bird their Bob. Should be a fun bird to paint too.

Mitch

Comment

looks great...mark

Comment

Here is an update on my male Kestrel. About ready to get to the fine detail of this bird. Cleaning off the eye brings a spark of life to the carving.

Please visit and like my FaceBook Bird Carving Page:
                      https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rober...1367243?ref=hl

and my website at: FEATHER BY FEATHER BIRD CARVINGS - Home

Thanks.

Comment

Beautiful!
                        Hazel Strickland
                        AKA Dixie Whittler

Comment

Great work, someday I hope to be able to carve something like that!

Larry

Comment

Your kestrel is super! I did enjoy your website and blog. Keep up the great work and I hope and pray your Parkinson's disease gets under control. Keep courage. Thanks again for posting. Dick

Comment

That is going to be an amazing bird when you are finished. I see you have the book Carving and Painting the American Kestrel.... I ordered that book and am waiting for it to arrive. Looks like it is a great book to have and learn from.
                              ~ Dwight
                              "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

Working...
                              X