Northern Saw Whet Owl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Saw Whet Owl

This is an owl I did as a go by for my carving students. I live in a retirement community and give carving classes 3 afternoons each week to anyone that wants to attend. We have 3-5 students that usually show up and the students select the project. I do a go by carving and stay 1-2 days ahead of them.
    I am not a professional but I have carved for 15 years. I am somewhat handicapped since I can only lift/move one arm. I lost use of it 5 years ago in an accident. It was my right arm and I was right handed. I have learned to now carve left handed. I can set my right arm in place and hold an object with my hand, but cannot move my arm once I set it in a position.
    I have learned to be patient and to think about each movement in advance. It has slowed me down but I am probably a better carver now because I give each movement more thought..
    Your critiques are appreciated.

I tried numerous times to get all three pictures right side up, to no avail.
    Attached Files

Re: Northern Saw Whet Owl

Well done, Don!

Claude
    My FaceBook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ClaudesWoodCarving/

My Pinterest Page: https://www.pinterest.com/cfreaner/

My ETSY Shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/ClaudesWoodcarving

Comment

Don, what a great carving . The painting is spot on also. and what really tops it off, to me, is the mounting. Would give you an A+
      . . . JoeB
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Don you did a great job on this owl which y the way is a fun owl
        to carve, thanks for sharing your project with us.
        Oscar

Comment

Great carving, and a nice thing you do teaching others.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Bundy View Post

I have learned to be patient and to think about each movement in advance. It has slowed me down but I am probably a better carver now because I give each movement more thought..
            top quality carving plus the teaching of patience and planning is an added bonus for your students to pick up on.
            Denny

photos at........ http://wiscoden.jimdo.com/

Comment

Nice job Don, kind of like the one in the last issue of WCI.
              I can\'t even imagine learning to carve left handed.

Tom
              If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Nice job, thanks for sharing.
                Charlie
                Charlie Wolfe [email protected]
                http://charleswolfe.weebly.com/

Comment

Fine job and many thanks for promoting wood carving to your fellow senior citizens. We need more instructors and helpers. Mike
                  Matthew

Comment

You are doing a great thing by teaching others. Your owl is terrific...great proportions and accurate feathering. I\'m left handed and wouldn\'t even try with my right hand. More power to you. Keep up the good work. Dick

Comment

Don You did a wonderful job on this owl both with the carving and painting I am going to be starting one of these myself in the next week or so keep up on the good work of carving and teaching

John

Comment

Well done, love the feather detail and the talons. Fantastic work, hope to see more.

~Dwight
                        ~ Dwight
                        "Hello, I am the Friggin' Happiness Fairy and I just sprinkled happy dust on you, so smile damit' this crap is expensive."

Comment

That\'s a great carving. If you had that in your yard, I bet it would turn a lot of people\'s heads. That you have persevered while dealing with your arm problem really makes your owl a remarkable accomplishment, and even more so since you teach carving as well. Very inspiring!
                          Terry

Comment

Working...
                          X