• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orygoner
    replied
    Re: Steelhead

Originally posted by Judge View Post
    The painting that is just awesome , there is just as much talent in painting these creations as carving.
    Wish I had both talents.
    Excellent job.
    Thanks again to all who provided such kind words! Judge... You DO point out the two parts to this sort of art. There is the carving, and then... there IS the painting. For me, once I\\\'ve made the decision on what species and the design of the piece, the carving seems pretty \\\"doable\\\". Not that I have always done it correctly, but I have a certainly level of confidence. Not so with the painting. I keep at it and I have a lot more fun with it these days, but I put a lot of time into trying to learn more about the mysteries of painting. That just takes time and experience, even with all the wonderful help these days. A friend of mine had a good friend who was a reknown flatwork painter. He told my friend (an excellent carver) that all that carving was just to \\\"get the canvas prepared\\\".

BTW, depending on where you live in Ontario, you certainly have a fleet of talented carvers up that way!
    Last edited by Orygoner; 12-14-2015, 08:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Judge
    replied

The painting that is just awesome , there is just as much talent in painting these creations as carving.
    Wish I had both talents.
    Excellent job.

Leave a comment:

• Dan Wegiel
    replied

Hi Randy,
    I agree with Robert, INCREDIBLE!!! Looking at your beautiful creation actually makes me want to go out fishing, fantastic job as always.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• Robert J
    replied

Absolutely incredible. I hope to someday be able to carve something this magnificent. Bravo!!

Leave a comment:

• Nomad
    replied

I\'m glad this one was brought back up because I missed it the first time. A real stunner. It looks so real it just amazes me. The texture of the the skin looks fresh out of the water. Awesome!!

Leave a comment:

• pab1
    replied

That is beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• pararaptor
    replied

This is the gold standard in carving, from concept, to carving to painting. Outstanding Randy!

Leave a comment:

• grdeno
    replied

Very nice Randy I think you hit a homerun with this one everything is spot on like the presentation also.Gary

Leave a comment:

• jangler14
    replied

I agree with the others that this one is real looking, sure you didn\'t pick this up at the taxidermist?

Well done and great presentation to boot!

Leave a comment:

• Northwest29
    replied

Originally posted by Orygoner View Post
    Not really a pro, but I do keep on \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"practicing\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\". Sorry to be so slow in responding to your question Old MM, but I had to go commune with some brown trout on the Owyhee. Scales are all done with burning tips that I make.

Thx to you and others for the kind words. 

Now what kind of an excuse is that, I mean really .... LOL

Leave a comment:

• Orygoner
    replied

Originally posted by oldmountainman View Post
    Really nice carving. Like the action of the fins. Detail is really sweeeet. How did you do the small scales, netting or rotary tool. Good mount too. I do believe you\\\\\\\'re a pro. ��
    Not really a pro, but I do keep on \\\"practicing\\\". Sorry to be so slow in responding to your question Old MM, but I had to go commune with some brown trout on the Owyhee. Scales are all done with burning tips that I make.

Thx to you and others for the kind words. 😀

Leave a comment:

• cb1959
    replied

Nice catch Randy.
    Charlie

Leave a comment:

• pararaptor
    replied

All the work I\'ve seen of Randy\'s seems to be the work of divine inspiration.
    There;s seems to be a progression of carver; craftsman; artist;...and then \"something else\"
    This steelhead is \'something else\' Randy!!

Leave a comment:

• Northwest29
    replied

Randy, great work as usual. Looks like the real thing from here. Well done!

Leave a comment:

• hstrick46
    replied

Wow! That\'s an awesome fish carving! I would have sworn it was real!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X