• carver33
    replied
    Re: Camptown Racetrack Bay (horse bust)

Very nice job.

Leave a comment:

• Dwight
    replied

Great job Paul, love the presentation and the mane.... looks alive.
    ~Dwight

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied

Originally posted by Paul_Guraedy View Post
    Vicksburg likes to claim that is was the last Confederate area on the Mississippi to fall. But, SNIP Hudson surrendered on July 9th after hearing of the Union occupation of Vicksburg. Too bad it\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s place in history has been virtually forgotten.
    Yep, but the Port Hudson Battlefield and Museum is really nicely kept. I was there a few weeks ago, as a granddaughter who is on a Cross Country team had a race there,. So it is not forgotten, at least, and the fact that PH surrendered after the fall of Vicksburg is mentioned there.
    Last edited by Arthur C.; 10-21-2015, 04:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied

You are right. I was near Elec but on the high side of the river, near Pineville. I majored in history at La. College and wrote a research paper on the Siege of Port Hudson; so am familiar with your area. Vicksburg likes to claim that is was the last Confederate area on the Mississippi to fall. But, Port Hudson surrendered on July 9th after hearing of the Union occupation of Vicksburg. Too bad it\'s place in history has been virtually forgotten.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied

Originally posted by Paul_Guraedy View Post
    Arthur, here are some photos from the front and rear. Where are you located along the Mighty Mississip? I was raised on the banks of the Red River in Rapides Parish.
    Thanks, Paul. Beautiful work.

I live in Port Allen, right across the river from Baton Rouge, less than two blocks from the levee. You must have been near Alexandria (aka \"Elec\" ).

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied

Joe, As I read the responses, I realized that what I said about the owl did not explain things. I re-posted to try and explain how I intended to pose the owl rather than how I intended to attach it. I enjoy your posts and responses. You are right, I intend for some reaction from guests!

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied

Paul, hope do not think that I was being critical of your owl, just jerking your chain over dropping your horse, Not that I have ever done something like that .

Your idea for posing your owl sounds just great. I sure with your detail, when someone comes into your home, I\'ll bet they will be ducking. Thumbs Up. . .JoeB

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied

Arthur, here are some photos from the front and rear. Where are you located along the Mighty Mississip? I was raised on the banks of the Red River in Rapides Parish.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Paul_Guraedy
    replied

Joe, I was remiss in not offering a little more information about my intentions for the barn owl. The kitchen/dining/living area of our house is one large room. Two \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"beams\\\\\\\\\\\\\ \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" cross the room and serve as raceways for electric, gas, and water lines.

The top of the beam is open and the black walnut facia extends a couple of inches above a 2x4. The light wood on the front of the beam is basswood ─ that someday I intend to use for relief/pyrography. So many carvings in the planning and so little time!

What I plan for the barn owl is to carve away the wings I have on there and to notch the belly so that the black walnut appears to go up into the feathers. I have the wood blocks that will be wing inserts ready for the band saw. I will insert them into the body of the owl (which will be tilted forward and downward) so that they are spread over the face of the beam. I will use dowel pins to attach the carving to the 2x4 hidden behind the beam.

My goal is for the owl to appear to be in the act of launching itself into a swoop on the person sitting below.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• pab1
    replied

Nice work! I like the addition of the horseshoe.

Leave a comment:

• drhandrich
    replied

nice the way you have the muscle tone into it
    looks good all around

Leave a comment:

• Nomad
    replied

Great carving Paul, and nice presentation. Thank goodness you didn\'t do too much damage to it.

Leave a comment:

• Arthur C.
    replied

Very nice, Paul! Would you be so kind as to post a head-on picture?

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied

It will be mounted on a beam in the living room, wings spread along the front of the beam, as if it is ready to swoop on whomever is sitting below it. hope it does not slip from the beam . I really like your horse bust and mounting. Every thing seems to be proportioned correctly. Good Job. . . JoeB

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I agree. I also like your presentation. Well done project.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X