Bear in Snow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bear in Snow

Since I am unable to use the search function; and, I cannot remember whether or not I have posted pics of my bear in snow, I am posting some early photos as well as where I am this morning. I am currently mixing stoning and burning. When my hand starts cramping with one tool; I switch to the other. I am burning hotter and deeper than usual in an attempt to make the fur thicker and ruffled. The only thing I keep thinking as I burn is; There is sure going to be a lot of work to get that charring out of there and make room for the paint.

There was some bad wood on the shoulder and muzzle of this bear. I managed to carve out the bad wood, avoid replacing the entire muzzle and use Apoxy to fill the area. It looks as if it will work; but, will not know until painting.

The concept is for the bear to be walking along a ridge line in an early season snow shower. This is not the first snow; so there is already a coating of snow on the plants and covering the rocks on top of the ridge. Below the snow are the rocks that make up the ridge.

I had carved tracks in the snow and was happy with the way the carving was going. Then, as I was drifting off to sleep, a couple of nights ago, I sat upright and exclaimed: That bear has no way off that ridge!

I was tempted to head for my carving table; but managed to wait until the next morning. Sure enough, it looked as if I had whacked off a section of the ridge and then smushed each end onto this section. No Way Down. Fortunately there was enough wood left to carve in a couple of ledges and imply that the bear was headed for the way down. Whew!

Interestingly, I showed before and after photos to several non-carvers. I had to point out the changes and all declared the changes unnecessary. But, the carver is much happier!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Paul_Guraedy; 11-05-2015, 10:04 AM. Reason: formatting

Re: Bear in Snow

I cannot remember seeing that one before.
    I really like how you caught the stance of the bear.

Comment

Another good project to follow. . . JoeB
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Great start. Looking forward to the finished project.

Comment

Really nice piece of work, Paul!
          Arthur

Comment

Looks great!
            What talent you have!

Jim

Comment

My Frien\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s I thank you for the comments on the bear. If stubbornness is somewhat equivalent to talent; then maybe I have a little. It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s just that I know what I want and obsession keeps me going at it.

I now have something like 15 actual pyrography hours into this carving. I just keep going over and over previous areas until it looks like what I am trying to portray. Most of the easy burning is done and I will have to move from the straight tip I have been using to one of my bent tips. This will really slow me down!

One interesting note. This bear has a lot of curves and I have found, the hard way, that it is easy to get my brace finger too near the burning tip. Ice has saved me from blisters ─ so far! Then I had the idea to take the finger protector that I use on my index finger, place it on the ring finger and ─ several burn marks on the protector but no more on my finger.
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Paul, You have a Great piece of Work going for you. The Time you spent on it is showing off your Talent in Carving and Wood Burning. Looking forward in seeing it finished. Merle

Comment

Locking good, Your obsession definitely is showing. Keep us posted. . . JoeB
                  . . .JoeB

Comment

Looking good Paul. The fur burning is awesome!
                    Terry

Comment

Nice work. It will be a assume piece when you are done.

Comment

That is one nice looking bear! Looks to be on the prowl heading for his next meal.
                        James Richards

Comment

I am slowly making progress on \\\\\\\"Early Snow\\\\\\\". However, I have a purchaser and will have to concentrate on getting him finished.

If someone is interested in buying a carving that I have not finished, I agree on a price and then tell them that they have what I call the first right of refusal. In other words the finished piece is theirs ─ if they want it! Since these carvings are not commissioned; I have an idea in mind for what the finished piece should be. In turn, the purchaser has an idea in mind for what the finished piece will be. Hopefully, these two concepts are sufficiently in-sync and the sale goes forward. However, I want the purchaser to feel free to say, \\\\\\\"This is not what I had in mind.\\\\\\\" After all, I started the piece for me and the carving will end up where I want it to be. If it sells, it sells. In this case, I really wanted to keep the piece for my own collection. But, then, there are several tools that I would very much like to purchase ─ and I can carve another bear!

The Apoxy patch really shows now that the fur is almost complete. I have been concentrating on the snow. Lots of tool marks in there and found the easiest way to remove them is to first use a rasp followed by a diamond file. Well, easiest. Note easy! It takes a contortionist to get to some areas. Especially the snow kicked up around the feet.

Getting close to the scary part ─ painting!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Paul, he is getting browner and browner, & looking good , What patience . . .JoeB
                            . . .JoeB

Comment

Paul, your Bear project is looking great, your patience is amazing,
                              thanks for sharing with us.
                              Oscar

Comment

Working...
                              X