Golf ball in a cage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Golf ball in a cage

Finished this one up a week ago, but just got around to taking some pictures today. I got the idea from watching a Mark Akers video, and along with some direct coaching from Mark via private messages I was able to complete this project. Mark carves his with the bust/head and cage all one piece, whereas this one I carved the head separately thinking that if when I pushed the ball in place I might not be so successful I would at least be able to save the head. I was able to insert the ball with absolutely no problem at all, but a couple of days later I noticed a crack developing in the top part of the bust. I tried to save it by clamping and gluing it but wasn't satisfied with the results so I scrapped the first cage and this is the second attempt. I am not sure, but I believe that the piece of wood may have had a hairline crack in it before I started carving, and then as a result of putting it in boiling water the wood swelled and then cracked when drying. I guess I'll never know, because the first cage is now in the kindling box awaiting it's turn to start a fire sometime next winter...lol
    Wayne
    Attached Files
    If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

I wonder what a golf ball would want with a cage.
    It's not surprising it balked and reacted in rage.

You're lucky the cage was only cracked and discarded.
    Once the golf ball was out. You might be its target.
    Last edited by Rodster; 08-12-2018, 09:09 AM.
    Rodster
    https://rodster.ca

Comment

Neat carving, It is a stop/looker for sure
      . . .JoeB

Comment

Hey Wayne
        Great job, no wonder you are never on line, too busy making fire wood LOL, I guess the the golf ball is one your last ones from your playing days
        keep them coming
        Bruce

Comment

Looks great! You made it work and that's what counts.
          Terry

Comment

Nice work Wayne.

Tinwood

Comment

Wayne, awesome job, love the carving and painting.

Comment

This is really strange. I can't find the picture. Anybody else having trouble?

OK, I just opened this thread in Internet Explorer and I see four links to jpg's in a box labelled "Attached files" at the bottom of Soggy's original post. That box is not present in my browser (Firefox, latest update). Using windows 10, latest updates.

More strangeness - none of the links work. I tried them in MS Edge also.

Is anybody else have problems with this thread? Or maybe there is some strange setting that I have wrong?

There are some other strange things going on with the forum software too that I have noticed in the last month or two, but maybe I'll bring them up elsewhere.

Comment

Cool carving Wayne.
                  Herb

Comment

Originally posted by honketyhank View Post
                    This is really strange. I can't find the picture. Anybody else having trouble?

OK, I just opened this thread in Internet Explorer and I see four links to jpg's in a box labelled "Attached files" at the bottom of Soggy's original post. That box is not present in my browser (Firefox, latest update). Using windows 10, latest updates.

More strangeness - none of the links work. I tried them in MS Edge also.

Is anybody else have problems with this thread? Or maybe there is some strange setting that I have wrong?

There are some other strange things going on with the forum software too that I have noticed in the last month or two, but maybe I'll bring them up elsewhere.
                    I

I think it might be on your end
                    . . .JoeB

Comment

Very cool carving ,

Comment

Well, I finally got a look at your photos, Soggy, and they look great.

Don't know what is going on. I viewed the photos by going to Soggy's profile in Firefox, media tab. Never figured out how to view the photos in MS Edge or Internet Explorer. Joepaul, I could view photos from your profile just fine in Edge and IE. Not Soggy's though.

Oh well. Maybe the next Windows update will make everything right in my computer.

Comment

"Oh well. Maybe the next Windows update will make everything right in my computer."

All I can say hh is "dreamer" !!

Comment

This is very cool Soggy, It makes me want to start playing golf. Do you drill the cage with a forstner bit?
                            If I took the time to fix all my mistakes, I wouldn,t have time to make new ones.

www.spokanecarvers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ellis View Post
                              This is very cool Soggy, It makes me want to start playing golf. Do you drill the cage with a forstner bit?
                              Tom: that is correct. I used a 1-1/4" forstner bit, chucked up in my drill press.
                              If you're looking for me, you'll find me in a pile of wood chips somewhere...

Comment

Working...
                              X