Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tinwood
    replied
    Nice tribute Eddie. Great little carving and I love the details. Bay Pines, down near the hospital or closer to Tyrone or Target?

Tinwood

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    replied
    Originally posted by Rodster View Post
    I like your neat carving of a plumber named Ed.
    He worked all the time. Never lingered in bed.

And now Ed's gone to a well-earned place in the sky.
    Where everything works. And nobody dies.

He won't need his tools. All the loos work just fine.
    Perhaps he'll take up a hobby or learn how to rhyme.

He may forego all his stogies, and take up a pipe.
    Then write rhymes like his son, in eighteen-point type.
    Rodster...You're okay! I don't care what the girls say! Thanks for the poem. It in itself is a very nice tribute to my Pop. By the way, it's 24 Pt type. That 18pt on my machine strains the hell out of my eyes. I think I'm going blind as well as being deaf.

Leave a comment:

• JoeVM
    replied
    Nice Eddy. You have a lot of memories in that little carving.

Leave a comment:

• Claude
    replied
    Good one, Eddy!

Claude

Leave a comment:

• Rodster
    replied
    I like your neat carving of a plumber named Ed.
    He worked all the time. Never lingered in bed.

And now Ed's gone to a well-earned place in the sky.
    Where everything works. And nobody dies.

He won't need his tools. All the loos work just fine.
    Perhaps he'll take up a hobby or learn how to rhyme.

He may forego all his stogies, and take up a pipe.
    Then write rhymes like his son, in eighteen-point type.
    Last edited by Rodster; 02-25-2019, 05:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Merle Rice
    replied
    Hi Eddy, I do remember that saying , but mine had a different ending. Well done all round. Merle

Leave a comment:

• woodburner807
    replied
    Excellent story and tribute, Eddy. Coupled with all the memory details it sure makes for a great tribute and heirloom.

Leave a comment:

• uvawyo
    replied
    Fine carving, fine tribute, good job, Eddy!

Leave a comment:

• Soggy
    replied
    Well done Eddy!.... I'm sure your dad would be proud .
    Wayne

Leave a comment:

• joepaulbutler
    replied
    This is about the best analogy a son could give his Dad. My hat is off to you sir for your fine tribute & carving to your father.

Leave a comment:

• scotia carver
    replied
    HI Eddy
    Your carving makes a great tribute to your Dad,your story was great also, wonderful way to remember the plumber
    Bruce

Leave a comment:

• Bob K.
    replied
    Terrific story, great carving and a fitting tribute to your Pop, Eddy! I'm sure you made him proud.

Leave a comment:

• Eddy-Smiles
    started a topic Ed Sr. Plumber

Ed Sr. Plumber

I ain’t the plumber.
    I’m the plumber’s son.
    But I can do the plumbing,
    Till the plumber comes!

My Dad passed on before I really got into carving. Not too long ago another carver, Bill Mims, posted a picture of a plumber that he carved on the Helvi Woodcarving Facebook page. That got my mind to thinking that I couldn’t remember ever carving anything dedicated to my Pop. He’d been a plumber all his life. He carried a Master Plumbing License for plumbing, steam fitting, and pipefitting until he moved to Florida. What would be more appropriate than a plumber caricature…. because anyone who remembers him will remember him as quite a character!

Just to show you how different a finished product can be from the original pattern, I used Dennie Stallings carving of Stan Laurel as my pattern.

This rendition of my Dad is a conglomerate of memories….worn shoes (his favorite shoe store was the Salvation Army Thrift Store); dirty hands and smudges on his face (you ain’t getting dirty if your not working); his Ridgid tools (he had Ridgid pipe wrenches, Ridgid pipe cutters, Ridgid pipe threaders, and Ridgid pipe stands, everything was a Ridgid); his black garrison belt with his Marine Corps discharge pin stuck in a belt hole on the strap ( I got my butt whipped one time and I swear that when he finished I had the US Marine Corps emblem embossed on my ***. Now you know why I joined the Navy!); the crack of his butt showing. (this is a plumber’s trait); his Bay Pines Plumbing Shop name tag; the half stewed stogie clenched between his teeth; (I don’t ever remember dad smoking them but he chewed the hell out of ‘em. You didn’t want to be sitting in the back seat of his car with the rear driver’s side window open when he was chewing!); and his favorite hat with the US Marine Corps 6TH Marine Division patch prominently displayed ( I don’t think that Pop went anywhere including church without his favorite hat. They say that “Once a Marine, always a Marine.” Even though my father did his three years during WWII and then left the Marine Corps as soon as he was returned to the states, he was 100% U.S. Marine all his life.).

Dad….If you’re up there following my Facebook Page I sure hope you like your carving. It’s was all done with love. Semper Fi Pop!

Working...
X